Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I a freak?????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK, I woke up from surgery ACDF C6-7 at about 1:30 yesterday. I was a little groggy of course but Had my voice fully and was a little sore in my throat. Wife stayed with me and seemed to have no complications. I was eating chicken and pasta at 6:00 and cookies at around 7:30. Did not get ant sleep in the hospital because I shared a room with some guy who was in a lot of pain and was making noise all night. At 9:00 this morning I was on the phone waiting for my ride home after a full breakfast (bacon, eggs, patatos, toast and a corn muffin) laughing with my brother. All nurses and staff were amazed by my condition and frankly so am I. I know everyone is different but all I have at this point is a slight sore throut and a little tiny ammount of tightness in my neck. I actually feel great and its only been 23 hours since surgery. I just ordered a pizza!

The only time people understood my condition was when they learned who my surgeon was. I guess that really does matter.

So here I am, Waiting for a pizza to be delivered and have not takin a pain pill since 7:30 last night. I am both thrilled and a little confused. I guess my surgeon was not that nuts after all. I still plan on taking some time off from work while I have it. Just baught a new recliner and plan on spending some comfy time in it :D

When I learn how to use an avatar I will post a post op pic of me and my neck. Only have a little over an inch cut. covered by this little child like white band aid.

Oh yea, I like to keep my head freshly shaven and was a little upset when I saw the little holes over my ears from the operation traction thingy, Thanks Doc!

And thank You God! you have carried me through this and are the sole reason for my pretty amazing recovery!!!!

• That's great! I woke up feeling pretty good too. I just had some muscle spasms. I have never had ANY pain at the operative site. I never stopped talking from the time I woke up in recovery (about 3pm) til after midnight. I was so excited I felt so good. The next morning I was walking all over the hospital & was released at 11am. My biggest problem was a lump in my throat & it was sore so I ate soft foods for the 1st few days.

The surgeon definitely makes a huge difference. I have a 1&1/4 inch scar for a two level ACDF. I work at the hospital where I had the surgery so I asked every doc & nurse I saw who to go to. Even the lady that preregistered me said "oh, you have a great surgeon". I didn't bother to get a 2nd opinion.

I'm happy you have it over with now. Good luck on your recovery. Just TRY to take it easy for a little while & let your body heal. You'll be our next success story! Take care.
  • I'm glad you're feeling so good. I felt awesome after mine for about 2 days then *WHAM* felt like I got hit with a Mac truck. I don't mean to sound cynical, but it's quite possible that you're still under the effects of anesthesia and may be counting your chickens too soon.

Anyway, again, I'm glad you're feeling so good. Here's to a speedy recovery!
  • I have heard of so many people feeling great and over doing it and I hope this is not me. I had no pain symptoms before surgery only extreme weakness. When I woke up the first test my surgeon did was my arm strength and it was AWESOME. After two months of a near dead arm I had about 80% back. I cannot believe how nerves work.

Hey Cath, I may be counting my chickens early but it is the only way I know how to think. My positive thinking and faith in God has gotten me through a lot of quirkey things and I hope it works here to. I know I am taking chances tonight by not taking any meds and I will most likely pay for it. Still have not had any since last night and have no pain (yet???).

Newfienurse, I will be a success story. I have no doubts. I am lucky enough to have never experienced pain from the neck and back before and acted pretty fast on this. There are people on this forum who deal with pain every day of their life and in my opinion are strong as hell. It takes a rock solid person to live life that way.

I had the same issue as John Cena from WWE Wrestling. He ruptured his disc and lost his arm strength right away. He also acted quickly enough to save his muscles.

We will see how far I can take this.

This place is pretty great for this stuff.
  • Hi Shamrock...

Glad to hear that you are feeling so good. I had a similar situation. I woke up talking, and never stopped. My throat never got really sore either. I ate pizza and wings my first night home! I felt that good for about 2-3 days, and then it hit. I stopped taking my pain meds after 3 days (they were making me sick), and once I stopped, I realized just how many muscle spasms I was having.

Once I got them under control, I have felt pretty good for the most part. I have rough days every now and then. The hardest part for me is not overdoing it. I am not a sitting still kind of girl. My body always lets me know when I have done too much - too bad it doesn't let me know until afterward. :-)

Take care and try to relax!

• I'm glad to hear another success story. We all need to know that not everyone has pain/complications afterward. Surgery is a big step, and a scary thing for most people. I'm sure many others appreciate your comments! Like others warn, just be careful. Happy healing!!!
  • So, good to hear you are feeling so well and so soon!

I wish I had the same story, my 2 level ACDF was 9 days ago and I'm still hurting. The radiating arm pain had been gone for 6 days but has now returned. I'm just sleeping most of the time and willing these bones to fuse!

• Well I awoke today and still feel pretty good. I have some tightness in the back of my neck and shoulder blades which I expected but still feel pretty good. I took one hydrocodone before I went to sleep to assure a good nights sleep. I am impatient at this point, I want back what I had two months ago and will have a hard time over the next few months but it has to be done. I know I gained arm strength back but I am now waiting for my chest to respond the same way, it is still soft DAMN. Anyway, here's to a long road of hard work.
  • Did you have a beer with that pizza? Can't have pizza without beer. Glad you feel so well! Reading your post made me smile,thanks! Sagehen
  • Sounds like with your positive attitude you can overcome anything.Its great that your doing so good after the surgery.There are people that feel really good after there out of surgery.I can't say i felt great but i felt a lot better then i did before i went in.Post op pain was nothing compared to the pain i was in before the surgery,piece of cake.Here's to great successes for you ;)
  • NJ, you have a fantastic attitude and that's going to help you heal. I understand how hard it is to not do things you feel like you CAN do.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. You're doing great! (You freak you :P )
  • Its funny how the "Pain" forum is making me laugh.

Sagehen, no beer, I do love one every once and a while and actually have a few dark ones in the fridge, but I have the health nut sickness and will avoid until I can up my activity. But who knows, I may get so stirr crazy in my house it may lead me to pound them all and get tanked ;)

I tell you guys what is killing me, My damn butt and outer hip pain, it started after I sat on my A** for three weeks after I got my initial injury and it gets worse after I walk. I walked 7 miles this morning by the way, felt good so I did two laps around the hood. My energy level has not gone down yet so far. After my lower back MRI doc says its perfect so we will rule that out. He mentioned a piniformis mucle or something like that, said it was pretty common with people involved in my sport (Triathlons). It is somewhere in my bum.

Alright, wife is home with lunch =D>

• Your laughing, gets me laughing...And laughing makes me Smile and Like I always say A smile can take pain away if even for just a minute...
    Its nice to meet ya N.J. Welcome to Spine Health.

Great you got to walk all them miles right after surgery.....
    that's amazing.

I was wanting to eat right after surgery too.
    After I finally got out of recovery and into room Nurse came in with some sherbet to swallow pills and she feeds me the meds in the sherbet.
    I'm like can you leave the sherbet. I tell her I need something to eat.She seemed surprised and said: I will wait here while you eat the rest of the sherbet(afraid I might get sick)about three hours later she brings in some chix broth-and I'm eating Hubby's french fries...well I will stop there with all that.

My incision is about 2 inches and is hard to see unless you know its there.
    I had to stay in hospital 3 nights.
    I used a cane to walk into hospital for surgery and left using a walker and needed assistance to while using walker.Long story..... I was able to put walker away a couple weeks ago and can get around now with cane and no help.. smiles and more smiles......

Sending many smiles out and around ........Patsy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I only hope that this continues for you and you really dont have any bad down times. I think people hit highs and lows after surgery at different times. Some see it initially in the hospital and then for a while at home, while others feel great for weeks before hitting a different level.
    But when things are going good and they are on your side, just continue to do what you are doing.
    I am sure there are patients who recovered from spinal surgery of some type and did well from the time they left the hospital and are still doing ok.
    Lets hope you can be added to that list.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Still no pain but I am having the weird tingles in both arms and hands, I guess from working around in there. Glad to make some people laugh and smile. Keeping a good attitude and smiling will get you through anything.

I plan on spending most of tomorrow in the recliner in my boxers under a soft blanket. I need to just relax for a little. I have not stoped moving since I got home from the hospital yesterday morning. Of course no lifting or working hard, but I cant sit still.

I will do my tai chi, doc said it is alright as long as I do not move my head around to much. For all of you trying to find a good exercise without any impact or crazy bending Tai Chi is a great choice! The physical therapist (How do you spell that???) Therapist?? anyway she told me it was a GREAT choice for rehab for me.

Anyway, off to TV land with the little lady. My three year old monster is finally sleeping. Cant wait to get back to real quality time with the wife ;)

Good night all, And may you all have a good day tomorrow :H