Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just one stupid day!

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
Is that so much to ask for? One day, when I can get through the day till the end of my workday? ONCE!

It's clockwork.
8:15 arrive
8:20 take 1 norco
11:00 it starts to wear off.
12:30 take norco
1:00 the pain is increasing instead of decreasing.
2:00 I am wriggling around trying to do anything to get comfortable.
3:45-4:15 I surrender the day and go home.
As soon as I walk in the door I take 2 norco, then four hours late 2 more and go to bed.

I am supposed to work till 4:45, I have not made it to that time in MONTHS. I work through my lunch everyday as I know I am not going to make it. Today was going so well, I felt almost O.K. about 1:30 I moved slightly and felt that little pop in between my shoulder blades, now, I could just about cry, again... No way I can even go up on meds, even if I wanted to, SCS on May 4th. I should be cutting back.
It's going to be a long time getting there.

I know I'm better off than most, still working, but is it too much for any of us to just get a bleepin break???
I seriously can not remember what a life without pain is really like? What do those people do with their time?
It all seems so alien to me now. all of it.

• I'm sorry for what you're going through, it sucks big time. You've been through a lot and it would be so fantastic to get a break from the constant pain.

I can't really say anything to make you feel better but just wanted to send a hug your way. >:D<

• It helps. Just need a few more days to pass. I have an event I have been forced into working on Saturday and I really just want to say NO. I don't want to alienate the people at work though. It is indeed too much right now.

Rains coming, something is, every part of me that hurts is now throbbing and cutting. How's the saying go?

"STORMS COMING IN" I do believe it is...
  • You've been through a lot and wish there was something more I could offer than >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

I wish I could remember what a pain free day feels like too. Hang in there dear. Hope that the SCS helps you find the path to pain free or at least pain minimized. We're here for you!
  • that things are so rotten. I will keep you in my prayers. Hang in there, I know it is not fair and it is really the pits but we are here for you

• i hate no being part of life anymore like you say i carnt remember life before pain ..its not fair!!! and i dont like being skint all the time
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you, I hate this time of day.
    Just got home and have to wait, and hope I will get some relief. I just watched a radar sweep of the area and I can see the front roll through. The reason I got such a nasty jolt this afternoon.

If this happens Saturday afternoon when I am supposed to be working this event I am so SCREWED... Thankfully we are supposed to have mid 80's and clearn, but that just means a screwed up HVAC system and a panic stricken boss that is one level above my supervisor that I will have to deal with.

Geez, this hurts. I give up, maybe I'll be back if my norco works...
  • Wrambler -

Bummer you are feeling the way you are. I was there last week. My toes, ankles, wrists and hands/fingers all felt like they were on fire. IN ADDITION to my usual aches/pains. The weather definitely has alot to do with the pain types and levels. LUCKILY, as the weather passes, so do the issues that come with it. Too bad the other pain issues won't go away as easily, eh?

BUT, I do remember what it was like to be pain free. I reflect on them often (it's what keeps me going at times). The weather here is beautiful. So, if I were not in pain, I'd be outside mowing my lawn (and my mother's!); washing my SUV; water park, amusement park, throwing baseball to son, wrestling, shopping... Planting something. Anything! Or - my comfort zone which is cleaning house. Basically, I'd be doing the things that have apparently gotten me to where I am today. But only because I was not careful. Thinking nothing of picking up something too heavy; pushing, pulling, etc.

If I had it to do better....

Take care. Hope you have at least ONE day...

• Tomorrow, tomorrow, we'll start the day tomorrow...Mr. Rogers.

Tomorrow indeed, I have my P.M planning session for my SCS! Thinking happy thoughts !!!

surely tomorrow will be better. Hope EVERYONE gets that stupid day TOMORROW!
  • I now have the song The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow stuck in my head. I keep hearing it over and over in my head. May need to increase my pain meds tonight just to get past this song. :))( :D
  • I was thinking more of the song "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie" And ejoseph is right, hearing it over and over and over and =)) you get the idea. Won't be long now, I hope the SCS gives you many many pain free days. How wonderful that would be for you. Do you have to stay in hospital to have it implanted? Don't know much about them. Good luck.

Hugs & Prayers
  • My heart goes out to you!! Just remember: " Rainy Days & Mondays always get me down" =)) :))( I just had to!!! Now I know someone can top THAT one!!! =D> :H Laughing helps.
  • how you feel after 5 weeks & 2 days of being really pain free I have this morning crashed & burned big time! OMG does it hurt! I want to go home & curl up in bed for the rest of the day which isn't going to happen & I have a meeting this evening, which I know will go on for atleast 3 1/2hrs. If this keeps up I will probably walk out just after its started LOL its only 14.48 Thurs UK time !!!!!
  • with thte work side of things ,just one day?? its not to much to ask is it ! ;) sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy! :))( >:D<
  • Looks like hurricanes and lightening, I see a bad moon on the rise ~X(.
  • I'm-sorry-to-hear-it's-so-hard-at-work-I-hope-you're-feeling-just-a-teeny-bit-better-and-hope-it-goes-well-Saturday.Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You sure look fine..........

Cause Friday I got travlin on my mind,first you love me,then you get on down the line...But I got Timeeeeeeeeeeee

...course-I always mess up the lyrics,but I gave it a try.

Oh,and how 'bout Monday Monday....

And I just know whenever I log off and crawl into bed...I'm going to remember tons of Monday songs.......THANK YOU :P

Actually-Tuesday night was the end of a 6-7 days of an agonizing pain cycle for me..so I understand how you feel.Yesterday at my PM I said 4 to my pain scale level...but told them that truthfully I felt almost like a lottery winner after the bad days I had just been through.I meant it too...and you know what...they believed me..the nurse and PM-they 'got it!"

:T ;))
  • i know what you mean, I was asked about my pain about 8 times yesterday. I had my pre-op at the PM for the SCS, got that all done. Then had to go over to the Hospital for labwork for preadmission, blood,urine, all the fun stuff...

They use like 5 different nurses and assistants to do it. Each one comes in and asks different questions along with the same small talk about how I ended up getting surgery for the 5th time in less then 3 years! My blood pressure is running 144 over 90 and they are saying, is this normal? No! I don't normally carry that high a BP and then they say, Are you in pain? YEAH!"oh, that's probably it" geeee, you think? Maybe?
    Now they want me to start getting it checked more often to see if it comes down after the surgery.

• That if I am going to get that ONE STUPID DAY, it ain't today. If anyone sees my day, could they let me know where it is at?

I suspect I left it in Disney World. :''(
  • no, its just round the corner ,not sure what corner though 8> ..hope its not to bad for you today >:D<
  • got a bad day at work, lots going on. Brings out the worst in the pain. I tried adding my Norco in the 2 at a time dose I am allowed on bad days. Bad idea, now I feel about 2 sheets in the wind, stressed out and I have to deal with PEOPLE.

Oh, this may go so, so wrong....
    I have an hour yet, so maybe it'll mellow out. I hate this feeling when I am at work. I guess maybe the pain is better?
    Not sure anymore.

Thanks for the kind words. I need them.
    My co-worker who I thought actually cared has showed his true colors again. He was laughing about dumping this on me, I knew he had this streak in him, but he has not shown it in a while, so I thought it had passed. Silly me!

If I did not have the SCS in slightly more then a week, I swear I would just tell my PCP go ahead and write me off work. He has offered to do so anytime I feel I can not take it anymore. I am there, but, I only need to get through next week. One more week.

Now, look at me, not bad enough I wanted a day!

Now, I'm asking for a whole week =))
  • well you can wish hun ;)
    im in sorta the same postion as you but the other way round, doc has signed me off for one week after the 2 days i took anyway, but know i have to deside wether to go back next wednessday or not :S i have my mri on tuesday next and at least a week to wait for results,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do i go back to work and risk doing my back in again ( i do home care for the elderly ,so lots of bending and lifting poorly legs) or do i take an extra week and get the results ?? i just done know! 8}

its never easy is it :(
  • supper glue co worker to chair!! =))
  • You were asking for a day...yes.Now a week.. :O ..hellooo!

What's next?

All of those nurses/assistants asking you pain levels..are they looking for discrepencies,or just making conversation..I mean..were they writing it down? lol-I get so paranoid sometimes when several people are flitting about asking me questions.One time when in for an op.,I said,'what is this,an interrogation..refer to what the first couple people wrote down." You can imagine the look I got.That was my younger daze,before any of this old age wisdom stuff started breaking through my hard exterior.. ;)

Don't pay that co-worker any mind,they don't matter in the long run.Not in any way that will affect you and your life,in any way that matters.

Did they use a BP machine to check you or did they check your BP the REAL way? I don't trust those machines and don't think they are as accurate.Mine is always up lately at the PM's office,and my BP always ran around 110/60,give or take 5.At PM's lately they have been just like your numbers.

• They used an old fashioned cuff, my PCP actually explained the whole procedure last time I was there. Nurse got the 140-90 number, PCP redid it carefully after I have been in there for a while and got 122-68 or so. He said I am probably fine, just pain and stress. It was checked twice yesterday by different folks at diff times and both got the high reading.

I'm not concerned, YET. I will worry about it after the SCS surgery is done.

The co-worker, I should have known he would show his true colors. Nothing unusual there, just my forgetfulness.

yeah, they all wrote it down in one place or another. I give the same number for the same pain, so, I don't much care about it. Just somewhat aggravating.
  • Wrambler--You want a week???? Are you dreaming? 8} As for the co-worker, slip some norco in his coffee when he's not looking. Then you can watch him be goofy and 2 sheets in the wind. =)) J/K

I love it when I'm out and people look at me in my brace and cane fashion statement and say "That doesn't look like much fun". I swear that one of these days I'm going to look at them and "It's a real f'ing blast. You should try living in constant pain. I really recommend it." And sadly I would say it if I'm really at the end of my rope. I also get tired of hearing "You look like you're in pain" and "You look so tired. Are you ok?" Normally I just look at them like they're stupid and say "I'm fine thanks" while I try to stay upright with the cane.

My PM has never taken my BP. Do they normally do this when you go in for more meds? Just wondering. Right now, I don't trust any doctors, etc. I am a skeptic about the care I'm getting.
This discussion has been closed.