Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have Osteoarthritis & want to Apply for Dissability. Any Advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello I have finally been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis or Arthritis in my Low Back or Facet Joints, my Pain is getting worse Daily and am thinking of Applying for Dissability, Has anyone here been Approved for Dissability with Osteoarthritis or Arthritis of the Facet Joints. I Welcome Any and all Info on your Advice or Personal Experience with Dissability. Thanks

• i have been thinking down this rout also, on the one hand im trying to take one day at a time,on the other hand you cant help but worry and think wot may happen, in the uk i know we have to be on 26 weeks sick leave before we can apply for it, and there are 3 stages depending on how long your on it to how much you get ,which isent much and no where near the wage i will lose :( as it is hubbys wage pays for all the bills,my wage dose evrey thing eles i cant see how we are gonna servive :S
  • I haven't even applied and I'm already starting to worry, My concern is I have been off of work for 5yrs supported by my husband and now have a 3yr old child, I was planning on going back to work to help out when my child was potty trained, now my child is potty trained & I'm sppsd to go back to work, I'm hit with this severe low back pain,
    I don't know if I have a case or not,,,,
    I'm afraid of what my Dr. will think, and if I'll have her support,, Everything worries me,, But I have Severe Chronic Back Pain, I believe I have a case but justs affraid of not knowing, I will get an Attorney from the Beginning if I decide to finally Pursue it,,,,,, Still contemplating
  • i dont know but surly diability is oweing wether we were working or not ,how are you coping with looking after the little one? dose someone have to come in to help,dose hubby have to do stuff for you ect ect trying to think of things they may ask ;) ;)
  • i have been on incapacity benefit for a long time and have just applied for DLA {third time{} i have been refused 2 times .we got the CAB to fill the form in this time .last time my doctor did it for me ..he could not believe it when i got refused
  • Hello.I applied & did all of the paperwork,everything myself,without an attorney until after the appeal.I DID take an attorney with me whenever I went before the judge,and then there was a woman there who is to know all of the jobs in the area,and to know if you qualify-or COULD do any (jobs)with your disabilities.I won my appeal.

I started helping someone last Dec and he was just notified the other day-or maybe a week or so ago,that he has won his case..which he also appealed,but did not have to go before a judge before they accepted him.He's getting his first check May 1st and is being paid from Dec 08-May09.He thanked me profusely,and you know-it really felt good-lol...But the truth is,all I really did was help him with the initial calls and getting the forms(I suggest getting the forms and filling them out the old fashioned way as opposed to the internet-AKA-their website).Then I helped him fill them out,and whenever he was denied-10 DAYS LATER!!! I had to really get on him to appeal RIGHT AWAY and ignore the appeal,make ALL calls,keep ALL appts.,...STAY on IT.Because he wanted to give up after the appeal was so quick..so all I really did was support and kinda push him to stay ON it.He did and he won...and I feel like I won-lol.

He did have to go to a SS Dr.I don't know what took place there.I wasn't there.

In my case,I found it to be mostly time,as in it took awhile-I think 7 months...and most of the nerves and stress was a waste of good energy that I could have saved really.Just be honest and if you qualify ...........LOL-OMG!!! He JUST called me telling me that he got 2 checks!!! Is THAT weird or what...just as I was typing about him!

Anyway,just be honest,and if your pain/disabilities qualifies,then you should get it.
  • I have arthritis of the facet joints and have applied for SSD. I applied about 1 year ago and am scheduled for a hearing in August that should go well. The most important thing is that your docs are 100% behind you. You might want to talk to her about it before you apply just to make sure. Good luck and please keep us posted.

BTW- You really do want to apply soon. I THINK that you must have worked in the past 5 years in order to have enough credits but I am not sure about it.
  • There are 2 different programs that pay the disability benefits.

FIRST is the Social Security Disability. The money for this benefit comes directly from the social security you've paid in during your work history. Each year, those who pay into social security receive an Earnings Statement that shows how much they've earned, how much they've paid in, what their benefit amount would be if they retired or were deemed disabled, etc. While that money is always there for when you reach retirement age, in order to receive this on disability issues, you must have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years. Or, at least have medical documentation that your condition was disabling during that period.

SECOND is Supplemental Security Income. The funds for this comes from your state's general tax fund. This program is for low income individuals. In order to file a disability claim under the SSI program, you have to meet the guidelines for Income and Assets.

I would not wait too long thought, especially since you have not worked in 5 years. I'd get the ball rolling right away. I have seen individuals who were SO TOTALLY DISABLED, but fell through the cracks on both programs (had not worked in 5 years, and their husband/wife made too much to qualify for the SSI program...), which is sad. So, don't wait too long. I'd file the claim. If you do not meet the requirements, you don't meet the requirements. It's not like you are arrested for filing the claim and it's denied...

Good Luck on your disability claim when and if you decide to file.

• My doctor has recommended me for disability. Of course I do not see that as an option. I am SO scared of NOT working because I don't think my family can survive. I have only been in my new career for 3 years. I had a car accident in 2001 and was out of work for awhile due to my back issues from my wreck. I could not go back to my original job so I went back to college to train for a new proffession. And like I said, I have been teaching for 3 years. As a teacher you don't pay into social security, you pay into teacher retirement. I am very scared of what my future holds. I am afraid my family will lose all that we have worked SO hard for (our farm). We can not survive on my husbands income alone. But then again, I can not live with this pain. I wish someone could tell me what to do, because I don't know what to do.

Please let me know how things go with your Disability quest. I am very interested in how things go for you. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope you get relief in one way or another.

Have a blessed day,
  • Wow! I commend you for not giving up and not giving in! To retrain for another career, well... hats off to you. =D>

How old are you? If you would like to keep track of your potential benefit amount, check your Earnings Statements (usually these are mailed out once a year). If you have never received one, call the toll free number 800-772-1213. Listen for the prompt that says something like "To request an earnings statement, press ___". If you are approved for benefits, not only will you receive, but your children under the age of 18 will too. There is a total family benefit amount, so look for that on your earnings statement.

I've been keeping an eye on my benefit amount. At this moment in time, I am able to work. But I know there is going to come a day when I'll have to throw in the towel.
    Good luck LM. And everyone here who is considering or has already filed disability.

• I also have arthritis. I have been on disability for almost 2 years now. I think you should talk to your Doctor to make sure she is behind you on this. From there I would definately apply soon. Social Security goes by how many points you have earned in your life time to be qualified. Good Luck!!!!
  • You said You know if some people who been denied because of their spouse making too much money, Do you know the max your spouse can make in order for you too qualify? I just signed on line now I'm gathering my info to mail in to them,, What happens next Once the Recieve my info? Do they call me for a phone interview or send me Papers to Fill out?
  • Unfortunately He goes to work and I stay home,, This System is really messed up sometimes, Some get disability who shouldn't and some who should don't meet qualifications. I just hope I qualify. My Pain is getting worse Daily, I know I'm not able to work now. I have worked since High School so I have Credits but just may not meet the Qualifications, Too Bad....
  • You asked: " Do you know the max your spouse can make in order for you too qualify?"

I am assuming this question was for the SSI (Supplemental Security Income) program... That being said, the Social Security Administration has this information. I cannot tell you what the allowable household income amount is because it changes from time to time (depending on the economy); the amount is different for each household and depends on demographics such as how many people live in the home, how many children are in the home, etc. If children are involved, the household income limit is higher. If there is only one person in the home, that amount is much lower.

I hope this helps you.

Michael: Congratulations again on your award for disability and for knowing your limits, yet working around them.

This discussion has been closed.