Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior C1 C2 Fusion

scott71sscott71 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has any one out there heard of OS Odontiodeum - with C1 C2 instability?

• Hi Scott71, I am very familiar with the Os Odontiodeum process. I am just 3 weeks recovering from C1/C2 fusion. My condition was discovered after falling on my snowboard. The surgery is very delicate and should be done only by a trusted spine surgeon. My surgery was done posterially using a rod,4 screws and a wire for good measure. Also I choose to use my own bone graft. As if I needed the extra pain. lol. If you have any questions I would be happy to help you as much as possible. I am also married to a chiropractor which has definitely come in handy. Take care! Barbara from BC, Canada
  • Hello, I am 39 and have had c1 c2 fusion with bone from my own hip 20 years ago. I am having severe neck pain with headaches. I have had an mri and ct scan and they are telling me all is fine. I have an appt with my surgeon that performed surg 20 years ago to look over my mri and ct. The headaches are makeing my everyday life difficult. Having a hard time getting thru work and I have 2 small children to care for. I am desperate for relef
  • Barbara43,
    Thanks for the understanding note to my questions. Well to let you know what has happened since this post. I put some thought into the surgery and got a second opinion with a well respected nereousurgeon in my home town and decided to go ahead with the surgery. But the surgery didn't go according to the doctors plan, he had planned on using the 4 screws and post method to fuse my vertabrae together but during the surgery he ran into some severe bleeding due to hitting a blood vessel in the bone. So he had to use his back up plan of wiring it together and using some bone to fill in the gaps hoping it would grow together. unfortunatly @ my 6 week check up he notice this bones were not healing like he would like and requested that I wear my Aspen Collar for another 6 weeks. I lasted an additional 4 weeks. At the 3 month check he was not impressed that I was not wearing my collar, and even less impressed when I asked for a release to return to work. Hesitantly he did give me the release and requested I have 1 more round of xrays to check my progress. Later that day I was called to be told that the wire used to support the bones had snapped and would need another surgery to fix this. I am 4 weeks post-op from surgery #2. This time he did get the screws and post in with no bleeding issues. I really hope things are progressing better this time. How long did you have to wear your collar? You said your husband is a chiropractor has he been able to help you with your rehabilitation? My neck is really stiff with the 2 surgeries so close together. Best of luck with your recovery.