Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to this

scott71sscott71 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all, I hope some of you might be able to give me some info about this new issue that has been found in my neck. I have recently have been diagnosed with a severe instability between my C1 & C2 verabrates. It looks like I was born with out the little bone that keeps c1c2 together. Creating at least a 1cm gap when my head is flexed forward. I have been given 2 choices, to have c1c2 fused together or live with it like I have for 37 years. I have thought of living with it but it is hard to stop thinking about that if something happens I could end up living like Christopher Reeves or Travis Roy for you New england Hockey fans. There are also 2 words that weresaid to me by my doctor the first time he saw me - he told he that I was Grossly abnormal. I do not think i have ever heard those two words together in my life. I think the only reason I have to have it fixed now is my 2 lovely kids and the love of my life my wife of 12 years - I want to see at least 50 with her.

• There's at least one other member here who has had C1 and C2 fused. Last I recall that person was recovering well from the surgery.

I have had two surgeries at C1 and C2 (no fusion) and both were done posterior. I will warn you that posterior cervical surgery is the most difficult thing I've been through. However once the post op pain starts to subside, things get better.

With that much instability, I would think you would be paranoid to even climb in a car or into a crowded bus.

Welcome to Spine Health,

• Yes, getting into a car does make me a bit more of a defensive driver. Since I was told about this my feet have been planted to the ground. If you do not mind me asking, How long was your recovery. I was told by my doctor if I had this done I would be in the Hospital at least a couple of days. and would be at home for another 6 weeks. even though I have a sit down job.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. how nice you are in love.. :X i have been for 29 years now as well.. i cannot help you with your questions but i know the answers will come your way.. :D good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • I spent several weeks in the hospital with these surgeries because the first one was aborted before it could be completed. It was completed 8 days later and I spent another week in the hospital after that. The recovery took a good 6 to 8 weeks before I felt capable of returning to normal kinds of activity.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm a cervical spiney as well, although mine are on the opposite end of the neck from yours. You've come to the right place for help, support and friendship. This is a fantastic site that has tons of information even outside of the forums.

Again, welcome to SH and I look forward to reading more of your posts.