Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm preplexed

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday. He has no idea why I feel worse. The only thing he did or said that made any sense to me was ordering an MRI and CT Scan. I don't know why he wants both and neither does the imaging center but ok fine. He told me that I might need to see a neurologist as something else could be cause all my pain and problems. He went on to say it could be caused by a number of things besides the fusion including a vitamin deficiency. WTF! Vitamin deficiency can cause numbness and burning sensations in my feet???? I just looked at him as he walked out after that comment.

I am trying to see another doctor after the MRI and CT are done next week. I have lost faith and trust in my current neuro. ~X(

Add to this the fact that I was overcharged for my back brace and his office manager refuses to refund me the $275 I'm owed. She says that claims are still pending and this MIGHT be owed on my part. X( My insurance can't do anything about me being overcharged and my credit card company says that since I signed a charge slip in the office that I really can't dispute it through them. I can file a complaint with the BBB (he's not a member) and/or the Attorney General's Office.

I'm so drained right now. Physically, emotionally, mentally and every other way possible right now. I say the PM today. Was put on Lyrica and dropped Klonopin. She wants to see copies of my films and report as well. I broke down in tears from frustration (and AF showed this AM.....TMI I know but it does influence my emotional side). She wanted to know if I ever think of hurting myself to which I quickly said no.

The songs Tomorrow from Annie (Thanks Wrambler ;) ) and Marley's Everything's going to be alright keep replaying in my mind.

• I am so sorry you have had such a rough time. A B5 deficiency can cause symptoms of burning, tingling feet. Maybe your new MRI or CT scan will show something they can help you with. I'll say a prayer for you.
  • Folic acid and B12 deficiency can both cause neuropathy (nerve pain); vitamin D deficiency can make chronic pain worse.
  • Hang in there. I had my surgery a couple weeks before you had yours. I didn't start to feel better until a couple weeks after PM started me on nerve pain medicine as well. My PM doc started me on neurontin and tramadol at around 3 month one week mark. So its only been a few weeks since I started 'em and I'm feeling a lot better than I was a few weeks ago.

Maybe this might just be the trick for you. I am also thinking of starting B vitamins and Folic acid now thanks guys. Already taking vitamin D and Glucosomine and Chondroitin. Boy that glucosomine pill is big.

Three little birds, I love that Marley song.
  • Cacium deficiency can cause severe burning, cramping and numbness is feet as well as hands. I have hypoparathyroidism (low calcium) so I know. I take prescription calcium WITH vitamin D just to live. Have bloodwork done as well. It could be anything. I know its frustrating but hang in there.
  • I really don't think I have a vitamin deficiency. I take a very good multi every day, EFA (fish oil), and extra calcium with Tums. I had my entire Thyroid removed shortly before the fusion. I saw my endo last week and my bloodwork was perfect. He checked calcium, hormone levels from my meds, etc. Three or four vials.

I had the burning and numbness before surgery. It seemed to be not as bad for a while after the fusion but has returned in full force and then some more. I really hate the electrical impulse type of spasms I get in the side of my calf; it's just above my ankle.

I'm more than willing to have more bloodwork done though if there is any chance it might help me feel better and live a life. I will definitely bring this up.
  • that you are going through so much pain. I had the same fusion as you only posterially in Dec. I had a severe pain about 3 weeks ago and had MRI and xrays. Nothing showing. I had never had pain down the back of my leg, not before or after surgery. I was having some bad pain, but it has let up some and I saw ortho yesterday and he says walk walk walk and no physical therapy yet. Not for 6 more weeks. He also said that he told me it was 6 to 12 months reocvery and wouldnt order a CT until at least 9 months of nothing going right. He said pain comes and goes and it is all part of healing and reminded me of how major surgery this is. Sooo...I guess I am saying, hang in there. Hope everything is ok on your tests. We are both about the same reocvery wisr and if I can help PM me. Its nice to talk to others in same boat.
  • No thanks, I gave at the office, today....pre-ops all done! YAY! I don't know enough to comment on vitamin defs but who knows, maybe thinking outside the box will turn up something?

I think ordering the CT and the MRI was probably due to the fact that each one shows certain things better than the other from what I recall. I'm sorry you have to do both thoough! I hate the MRI tube, I am not claustrophobic at all, yet I can not lay still in there! I have to get valium'd up! I am fine, till they say, hold you breath and don't move. Of course I start shaking and want to breath!

Sorry about sticking the song in your head! I am not totally to blame! I was going for Mr. Rogers! You guys went for Annie!
  • I had my TLIF on the same levels 10 months ago and I always had persistant, constant pain. I don't know why your surgeon thinks something else nonsurgical is going on- it's only been since December and it's still early in the recovery process. But at least he's doing the right thing by ordering the ct and MRI. He has to make sure there's no recurrent herniation, another herniation, abnormal scar tissue, problems with the hardware, and current nerve impingement. When I had my MRI, they found scar tissue on both levels-one against the thecal sac and another pressing on the S! nerve. I also learned that my nerve damage is permanent and nothing else can be done for it. If they find something, the doctor has to take care of it and not try to send you off to a plain neurologist. I hope this gets resolved and you get to feeling better. Take care
  • Yes, be glad to get those tests. I have recovery problems, and the only tests I've had post op are an x ray 3 weeks post op, and an EMG in February. The xray showed that I'm fusing, and the EMG shows definite nerve aggravation and damage.
    Still pt and pain meds are the only prescriptions so far. Have you been tested for lime disease? That can cause nerve pain as well, so I hear.
  • Did you have pain immediately after surgery, or were your symptoms better for a little while and then they developed?

Do they tell you the scar tissue is causing your pain now? And there is nothing to do for it? Is it affecting the nerve by compressing it?

I'm curious because I think I have a very similar situation...my fusion was also at L4-5 and I had spondy. I've had pain since the 2nd day in the hospital.
  • Thanks everyone. I guess that what has worried me the most is the way the doctor responded when I told him what's going on. It was as if he has no idea that this could be happening. To me, it seemed as if this was the first time he had ever encountered a patient with problems even though the fusion appeared ok on x-rays. Kinda the I have no clue what else to do so I'll order some tests and send you to somebody else and let them figure this out. Ever feel like you're a defective product and it's easier to get rid of you than try to repair? That's how I felt.

Wrambler--You made me laugh. Thank you. I needed that today. Maybe I should start singing Aint No Mountain High Enough tonight. =))

Amy--Lime disease never entered my mind. Will ask my about it; maybe my primary though. Thanks.

Meydey--I'm concerned that this could be permanent nerve damage. That was mentioned before surgery. He said a year before we would know for sure. *sigh*