Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lidoderm/lidocaine patches...?

Jim_LJJim_L Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
I just applied my first one (700mg) about an hour ago as an addition to my 5 mg of oxycodonne that i take every 2 hours.
It's another one of those "let's try this and see if it helps" meds my pcp and I are trying out.

I have it at the base of my back for the increased pain from my last June L4-5 fusion which didn't turn out well.
Post op mri shows increasing degen dsk & arthritis disease and now my left leg is pretty much completely full of sharp pains and aches. Standing is barely an option this past week and I can't really see myself doing any yardwork anymore.

So my question is, have you had any luck with this patch?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Jim, I used those patches for about 18 months. I started with one a day (good for 12 hours) and then went to 3 a day.
    It took a week or two of using them daily before I started to notice some improvement. Its not going to dull the pain or provide relief such as a fentanol patch does, but it helps taking the edge off a sore area.
    Biggest problem was that the adhesive wasnt that great. I wound up cutting them into smaller sizes and then applying to where I wanted them and then use some adhesive tape to hold in place. In the beginning of using them, I couldnt even tell you how many fell off, folded in half etc. They never seemed to hold in my thoracic area, forget lumbar, because if you sit and standup once they are going to move and potentially fall off. They did hold up well in the cervical area.
    I dont know what your co-pay is for them... But like I said I got to the point of using 3 a day. Normal packet came with 30 patches and my insurance plan had my co-pay of $30 for a 90 day supply.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have tried these, for me, they did nothing but numb my skin, my pain is much deeper, and definately not my muscles. I think they are a waste of money ( and they are pricey) But the durogesic patches (fentanyl) they work fairly well, but again, very pricey. Just my opinion.
  • Hi Jim.

I use these quite a bit.My skin is pretty dry,so I don't have too much of a problem with the adhesive-usually.After a lot of practice I have found that they work best on skinny areas-lol.For instance..the closer they are to the pain-in my case,my feet-they work best-because my feet are very bony.The deeper the pain,the less effective and less relief I get.

Whenever I tried one or two on a big muscle spasm it was not helpful at all,but it did help the bursae pain in my hips somewhat-and I'm not exactly thin-so go figure on that one huh?

I'm allowed 3 at a time,and like Ron mentioned I sometimes cut mine in pieces and slap them wherever I feel like it..but mostly at night-because of the 12 hour rule.

I've forgotten to remove one or two before showering before and that's a freak show in itself-lol.At first I had NO idea what happened in my shower :O You'll have to get one wet to really appreciate that remark...lmao.

Anyway-If you have a good co-pay(as they are a bit pricey)I suggest giving them at least a try-I've had a few nights of shut eye that I otherwise might not have without them..but if I had to pay full price for them on my budget I wouldn't pay for them.

I hope they help ☺
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Jim,
    I've used them off and on for a long time. Lidocaine is like what a dentist puts on your gums before a shot to numb that area.
    They have a minimal effect, my problems are lumbar, but you can use up to 3 patches 12 hrs. on 12 hrs off. I don't have to much of a problem with getting them to stick.
    I use them 3 at a time if I'm going to be driving because I go without meds or maybe a half of a dose. I put them on way ahead of time because like kristy said they don't go very deep. also it seems if I use them too regularly they lose all effect.
    As for cost, work comp pays for them and if I had to pay I don't think I would use them. They are expensive.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Well, I put one on hours ago, sat for awhile on my heating pad/recliner and then went for a 4 hour nap, woke up a little while ago and seemed to be lumbar-down-left-leg pain free (I could walk w/out my cane).

I cleaned up some dirty dishes and just finished changing the 2 cat litter boxes and took the trash out to the curb and the pain has slowly crept back. So, about 6 hours give or take... the patches are in addition to my oxy...

If the yard dries up enough for me to mow Saturday, I'll see how well they really work! But yes, it's deep lumbar pain, new pain all through/down the left leg for the last week or so.

Todays doc appointment to see about re-doing my med 'contract' which limits me to 5-5mg oxy pills a day went well, he gave me a scrip for an additional 50 plus the patches until i go back next week. Nothing on my last MRI shows any indication of what may cause the new L/leg pain.
    I'll probably up the 5mg to 10 as I didn't figure in the summertime activities I'll (try to) be doing but I can tell you that 30 minutes of raking, picking up branches and a winters worth of dog poo (what didn't turn into stew from the rains that is) left me with a good indication that I won't be doing anything outside anymore.

I may have a canoe for sale soon...;>(