Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-op for SCS

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Management
Did my pre-op today!

Got a new PM too! I will call him PM3 as he is my third PM, PM2 is my second opinion PM, PM1 is my well PM. PM3 is in the same clinic as PM1 and once a patient has an SCS he is placed under PM3's care as we don't use an actual Medtronic rep here, we use PM3! I was somewhat informed of PM3 being the go to guy last time when the trial wrapped up but being a soft mind I forgot!

So, same day surgery, takes about and hour to do. The usual, they knock me out and do the incision and place the spine lead, then the will wake me up and get coverage. PM3 says they will try and get me better back coverage but no promises. Once they have coverage they knock me back out and form the pocket and run the cable. sew me up and set me free!

Details, PM1 does the lead placement, PM3 does the pocket placement, tag team! My battery is going in right front belly. I know I don't want it in my arse... I hurt on the right side so I figure I will get the battery on the right too. That will leave me a "good" side to sleep on. I have been warned to try and save one! :) I don't sleep well anyway, so I am trying to leave a side to sleep on!

Work, NO WORK till the staples come out ten days post op. Then no lifting till 6 weeks out, I do not think Human Resources at work will allow me to return till restrictions are lifted, so it appears to be vacation time.

I did all my labs, very good feeling getting all this done today. I was also given scripts for Percocet post op and antibiotic to be taken for 10 days after the surgery.

Pain, well, you did not think I would get a break on that did you? No, way. They told me they did not really have an option for me pre-op. So, I will continue on the Norco and HOPE that the switch till percocet will get me through till I heal up.

I know I'm forgetting something, Oh yeah, got it. Soft
Cervical collar for 6 weeks, NO DRIVING at all till the collar comes off. PM3 says they want me to be as still and careful with my neck as possible. He also said he will only allow me to work at the staple pull date if I am working a desk job and will do NOTHING. He wants me to be a vegetable till the lead sticks in place. fun times never cease around here let me tell you!

I am getting better sympathy and talking out of my wife!
I told her I WANTED her to come with me today. I think that feedback from the docs helps her to fully understand that this is real. I'd suggest that all those who have unsympathetic spouses try and force them to attend ALL doctors visits. It's not just you complaining if the doctor is asking questions and giving out info...

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    for all Dr. appointments is a must. If they are going to even remotely have an understanding of any of the stuff we have to go through.
    And they will usually believe anyone else but us. so it's imperative the spouse attend all dr. appointments if they are going to have any idea what so ever!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Glad you got your pre-op stuff done today. One step closer. Recovery doesn't sound too fun but if you can be pain free or at least have it reduced to a tolerable level then it will be worth it.

Glad your wife went with you and is being more supportive and understanding My husband is very supportive so I'm lucky but it's still hard for him to understand all of this.

Good luck!!!!
  • Don't know how that happened. Sorry
  • I had the paddle leads, which required an overnight in the hospital but was actually easier than the percutaneous trial. I feel so good, Wrambler. I CAN SLEEP!!! I even dream. That means I'm getting REM sleep. The SCS is amazing. Best of luck to you. Let us know how everything goes. Susan
  • Hi
    I too sleep much better now - my SCS is on 24/7 & since I reduced the meds my sleep has improved even more!! Will have to review my name!!! Ha ha

I had mine done (paddle lead) whilst knocked out but they didn't wake me up part way through - why do they do this - sounds scary? Wish I had thought about where they put the IPG as I am having mine moved soon - it sticks out too much, is hard to charge & hits my ribs when I lean back on it. Pain I know, but it is so good, I cannot imagine life without it & want it to be right forever.

Hope all goes well & you get a good result - do follow the rules as it is so important, but tempting not too!!!

• They say the part where the wake me up will be painless, basically they will be making 100% or near as possible, sure that I have equal or better coverage to my trial placement. Part of me has thought about the paddle lead being a better idea, but honestly I have not had ANY surgery on my neck and realy do not want to start now!

I think that if it proves to postional or if I have problems in the future I would then try for a paddle lead.

I have thought about the IPG placement, a lot, probably too much! I tend to do that... I finally decided on the right front placement just simly because my trial would have me playing with settings a lot, due ot it being positional. I know the permanent is supposed to be better, but what if? I do not want to be reaching behind me everytime I want to change a setting so I'm going with the front. Also, I told my wife I was doing it so she only had to check one incision! , so shoot me, I lied :D

I full intend to follow every rule, I do so hope to get most of my "fun" things back and lose most or all of my pain meds!
  • Being alert and attentive during the lead placement is perfectly comfortable and no big deal. There's no pain or discomfort and it is very comforting to be a participant in the lead placement validation.

• My thoughts too!

I would be more nervous to go into the surgery and not have a say as to where the lead ends up! I feel more comforted knowing they will again be checking and asking me if I have the best coverage before they wire it all and place the IPG!

• It looks like you're all ready to go. I know you can't wait and I'm glad this is finally coming through for you. I'm having my morphine pump trial next month and will be hospitalized overnight. I got a good feeling about this because it's supposed to offer good back coverage since in my case my back pain to leg pain ration is 60/40-ish. I was told it's doesn't take all the pain away and I would still need medication but not extended release, I'm guessing. They do titrate your dose until a therapeutic level is reached and from what I hear there will be a lot of flexability, which I find very reassuring. Anyway, please keep on updating us because we're anxious to see how it goes for you and I hope it's a complete success. Take care buddy <):)
  • I'm so excited for you!! I'm sure you will do fine on the "not moving part" waiting for the leads to scar in. If you are like me, you will sit around, falling in love with that amazing buzzing sensation........your new best friend. SOOOOOOO amazing.

Take care,

• Hi--I was wondering how you were. I hadn't been able to locate you. So happy to here that your SCS is working and you're getting pain relief!!!

Wrambler--Hope you have the same results!!!! Keep us posted.
  • I hope you get the pain relief you need with the SCS. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN