Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is this really it?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 9 months post surgery. I had dics (6-7) replaced and fused.
Unfortunutly this Dr. used a 2.5 year old MRI. the first dr. only found a tear in rotator cuff. So it is down to perm. nerve damage. Any help on how to feel better. Other then don't do anything. I have been doing less and less for years now. The company dr. sent me to Pt for tennis elbow for several years before i was able to go outside of work dr.'s.
My surgeon told me to take ibuprofen daily to help with pain. I have several muscles that are always in a spasm, and just get worse when irritated.
ANYONE???
advertisement

Comments

• Wow-I'm sorry to hear the treatment you've been getting.I can tell you from my own experiences just this past week that some of those muscle spasms can be really nasty.I had some really bad ones here just this past week-they ended on Tuesday night actually,with a migraine finale no less.

My Dr and I just had a discussion about spasms yesterday(Thursday),because I was in almost disbelief that my 6-7 days of agony was just spasms.He told me that it was like a charlie horse..but in my back,and that I shouldn't call them 'just muscle spasms',because these are BIG muscles and cause serious pain if not kept under control.

Well....anyway...I wanted to welcome you to S~H!I'm sorry to go on & on-lol,but I did want you to know that I understand the muscle spasm part of your problems.Does your Dr offer you any muscle relaxers or anything else for the pain other than ibuprofen?Moist heat helps too with that.Sometimes I just wet a small soft towel and pop it in the microwave for 25 seconds,that gets it good and hot..and OHHHHHHHH does that feel good on a knot,or spasm for quick relief while waiting for meds to kick in.
  • No, no meds! I still have some pain killers left from after surgery and take when I get REALLY bad. But they have no refill. I go to my family dr. soon and was going to ask her to give me something. I haven't even had a Dr. say anything about muscle relaxers, thought they didn't use them anymore. Till I read people on here talking about them. Not sure if she will help but what do you do once you are done with the surgeon? I don't go back till fall now and see him, then I am done.!
    I will retry the heat. I like the microwave method! I got tired of heat and ice. With the ice I don't realize how cold it is.

Thanks!
  • Like your name. :D

Robin is so right - muscle spasms can really be a bear. I've been having them for almost a year now and am on muscle relaxers daily. To second Robin's question, does your doctor offer you muscle relaxers? They can really help if you find the right one for you.

Also nerve medications are out there, but I don't take any so someone else might be able to tell you about them.

Anyway, welcome to SH. This is a great site for support and info.
    Cath
  • My Dr. takes ibuprofen for his back spams. So I guess he thinks that is all I need. They haven't helped in the past but I guess I have to retry them for him.
    I have just recently heard of nerve meds. Anyone take them?
    Would be nice to know if they work or if they cause more trouble then they are worth. It would be nice to get something that would take the edge off at least!
    I was hoping to be able to get back on my bike this year. Not sure if that is going to pan out. Even a 10 mile outting would do for now. If my dang hands would just work properly.
    Docs don't sound encouraging anymore or hopeful. Working on my limitations now. :(
  • Hi,

I have taken nerve pain meds, both Lyrica and Neurontin.Although they did relieve my nerve pain in about a week, the side efects were to much for me.I felt totally stoned on them and dizzy, hard to concentrate on anything so I had to stop taking them.My nerve pain has come back but I'm going to ask my doctor if there is anything natural I could do(the clinic I go to has both a MD and a ND that work together). As for the muscle spasms, I have them very bad also in my neck and shoulder.I was taking Flexeril but switched to Skelaxin which works beter with less side effects.
advertisement