Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who else is just plain uncomfortable??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just cannot get comfortable! Especially when it comes to sleeping. I am almost 2 weeks out L5-S1 TLIF MISS. My legs are so uncomfortable. Is this because the muscles are being used a little differently while my back heals? By the end of the day my hips knees and ankles hurt, my sciatica gets a little worse and my leg muscles are just tired. All I do all day is walk and rest. I try to get up every 1 to 2 hours and walk for 10-20 minutes. I usually wind up taking pain medication for this. I am always moving my legs while sitting in the recliner trying to find a comfortable position. I can't sleep well. I spent a few nights in the recliner, spent a couple in bed and had to move back to the recliner, I was laying on my side in bed and the hip that I was laying on was killing me and my knees hurt real bad. I had a pillow between my knees and another that I was hugging.

When did everyone start PT? My doc said I would get PT only if I needed it, but I think I would like to start a program to stretch out and learn some exercises I could start before I get the ok to go to the gym again.

• I am 15 days out from the same surgery. I have not started PT yet. My surgeon said around 3 months I could. I understand your frustration. Some days are good and others are as you say uncomfortable. Just achy and there is not any position that is quite comfortable. Hopefully things will start to heal and feel better. Remember it is a long drawn out process. I will be praying for you

• I'm a cervical spiney so I can't help you very much but I just wanted to say that I'm constantly "uncomfortable". I never thought about how to describe how I'm feeling but uncomfortable is just the word I'd use.

I'm sorry you're having problems. We're here for you.
  • Hey Christine...I had fusion from L1-L5 (12 screws, 2 rods and a cage). My one big complaint at night has been my leg pain. In fact, I'm going to talk to my doctor about it on May 6th. I also take pain meds for that pain at night...it is really uncomfortable. I have the same foot, ankle pain also and while sitting in the recliner my legs also get uncomfortable. Glad I'm not alone in this now...I thought I was. I'm 6 weeks out from my surgeries. I'm assuming it's just part of the healing process but me, like you, just want to know "why". I also have a pillow between my legs at night. Hang in there girl and if you find out the "why" let us know.