Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Golfing again after L5 S1 Microdiscectomy

Golfer GuyGGolfer Guy Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I thought I would pass along a note to other folks who play golf who have had surgery like myself.

I played 9 holes of golf yesterday for the 1st time since my L5 S1 Microdiscectomy surgery last June 2008.

The back felt great and it feels fine a day later. My rotation and swing was excellent. I was driving the ball 240-250 yds consistently and keeping it in the fairway.

I was able to hit the ball just as far prior to surgery. The mid to long range irons and my putter were a little rusty.

My advice and recommendations to others who aspire to return to golf:

Build up those core muscles
Stretch daily
Walk as often as you can
Build up those upper body muscles
Buy an exercise ball...

Keep the faith, never give up, set goals about returning to play....be patient, listen to your body...warm up before playing

Golfer Guy

• I'm planning on returning to golf too. I've swung a club a few times, but have mostly just been riding in the cart with hubby while he plays. I haven't played since last July, so I'm sure I'm going to be rusty but I'm really looking forward to getting back on the links.

I've actually been trying to make my golf debut for the last few weeks, but the weather hasn't been cooperating.

Here's to long straight drives and two-putts!
  • cagey90ccagey90 Abbotsford Posts: 2
    Thanks for the update.  Sounds like it took you a while to return to golf.  I have my MD 2 weeks ago.  I am hoping to return to golf after 3 or 4 months but I need to work on the core muscles for sure.  
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    It hasn't been commented on since 2009

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.