Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Can You Tell The Difference Between Re-Herniation & Flare Up?

rolorrolo Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to ask those who have had Re-Herniations if you could tell what it felt like..meaning did you feel all the pre-op pain right away? How did that compare to when you just had a flare up (over doing it so to speak.)
I had a MicroD at l4/l5 on March 12th and have been doing very well. I have, though, had a couple of incidents where I have apparently done too much and felt some symptoms as to what I had pre-surgery (Butt feels hot, calf feels pinched, etc.) One time I lifted my daughter and felt the symptoms for a few days after, only to have the Doc give me Medrol and that calmed the nerve inflammation (apparently that was the problem) down quickly. This time, I pushed a seed spreader and also have to sit a lot the last couple days, and I have the nerve pain I described above again. I presume it's just another nerve flare up. My Doc said of my daughter lifting incident that I "irritated the nerve but I dont think you compressed it - the disc should be fine.)
Has anyone had both a "doing it too much" feeling and also a re herniation that can tell me how they felt different? I hate to be paranoid and think I re herniate myself each time I do too much.
PS - My nerve pain comes and goes to different locations and degrees after i over do it. Walking feels great, I have no limp or numbness or anything near what I had pre-op.

• When I reherniated my disc the pain was not as bad as pre-surgery but the pain radiated down the leg and it was constant. Even with the oral steroid, it didn't calm the pain completely.

After my 2nd MicroD, I still have some slight burning and pinching pain in my lower back, but it doesn't feel the same. I think it is just discomfort from the 2nd surgery.

So....reherniation was constant pain all the way down the leg and now (no reherniation, I hope) the pain is intermittent and transient.

Hope this helps.
  • when I re-herniated I felt a distincted pop in my back and could not move for a couple minutes.After that at first it was just back pain then in the coming days/weeks the leg pain had accompanied the back pain , the only way to know for sure if you did indeed re-herniate is a MRI that's what I had to do to get to the bottom of it.good luck and I hope this helps