Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post redo L5 S1 laminectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,

What a great sight! =D> I've come to this sight many times over the past few months and have read so much great information!

In February I had an L5, S1 microdiscectomy/decompression. Had horrible sciatic pain and numbness/weakness. After the surgery about 5 weeks out somehow reherniated it again. Went back in for surgery and now post op 4 weeks.

I have been SOOO careful, trying to take small walks and no BLT! Family has been so supportive, doing majority of housework etc.

I started back to work f/t yesterday. Leg pain has returned but it is mild to moderate. I'm just sitting at my desk all day, they gave me a stand up desk/chair wich is great so I do stand frequently and take small walks. Back was very achy and so tired yesterday.

Question I have is this: Is it normal to still feel that sciatic pain after surgery? Is it part of healing? Anyone go through this and have it get better and about how long? Maybe I just need to build up my stamina from lying around the house for 4 weeks and now trying to get back to normal?

The pain is off and on all day. When at home before I started back to work it did come and go but mild. Am I just irritating it? I'm SOO worried to reherniate it and dont want to put my family through this again! would love any feedback or stories you've gone through. It seems there's so many different opinions from doctors on their own post op instructions it's mind boggeling! So who's right?!! Thanks so much!

• Hello Klynn,

I wish I could be more helpful, but I had a very different surgery, fusion, so I am not qualified answer your question. But from the tone of your post I gather that you are worried. Since you are only a few month post surgery, you probably are still in contact with your surgeon, somebody in his office could probably could tell you if what you are experiencing is normal. My gut feeling is, that you are still early in your recovery yet you are already back at work f/t, so some setbacks as well as the fatigue is expected.

Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

• if it is entangling a nerve root. Unfortunately, scarring is a neccessary process but hopefully it doesn't develop in the wrong areas for you. Ask PT about "nerve glides." It is supposed to mobilize the nerve a bit and hopefully keep scar tissue off of it.

Seems like, with all this medical technology and surgical prowess, the medical community would be able to put something over the nerve root that would s l o w l y absorb over time and therefore minimize scarring around delicate structures.
  • Hi Klynn,

My story is so similar to yours. I had S1 microdiscectomy on March 12, felt great for about a week and then reherniated. I had a cortisone shot but it did nothing so yesterday I had the microdiscectomy again. I'm so nervous that I'm going to make the wrong movement and do further damage.

I was wondering how long you were off of work and if you started back fulltime or if you gradually worked up to it. Hoping you feel better soon.
  • Hi kindred soul,

Sorry this reply is so late, I haven't been on in a while. I hope you are feeling better! I went back to work at 4 weeks post op. I went back f/ t but I wish I wouldve gradually worked my way back to f/ t. My stamina wasn't built back up from lying around for 4 weeks, my back was very achy and after about 4 hrs I wish I couldve gone home. Standing and sitting didn't help I needed to lie down . My dr put me on ib profin and prednisone taper which really helped. I know what you mean about being nervous you'll do something wrong again... I still am like that. I have that shooting pain when I sneeze but then goes away.. I also feel it when I walk too fast so I'm not sure what to think of all of it. My back is still cracky and feels like things are lose and moves around in there which is wierd.

I hope you're doing better!
  • You can read my surgery info below, but we had the same thing. I'm now 11 or 12 weeks post and still have some sciatic pain, mostly when I sit too much. You went back to work pretty soon, but I'm sure this will work out. I'm getting better slowly and yes, nerves do take awhile to heal, the longer it was impinged upon, the longer the healing time. Good luck and ice, ice ice.