Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I keep falling apart - all because of my back

juliejjulie Posts: 213
It has been so hard to go through 4 - L5/S1 surgeries and then end up with a numb and painful foot (neuropathy). There seemed to be no answers as to how to fix it until I found some doctors who have decided to take a chance on me and suggest I have compressed nerves in my lower leg making my foot and toes paralyzed for the last 2 years. One month ago, I had the surgery and recovered the movement in my toes. Miraculous!!!!!! The pain and numbness remain so far.
Frustrating is that the therapy for recovery had to be put on hold because 6 months ago while walking up some stairs I felt something rip or tear in my other knee and the pain was incredible. None of my doctors thought it was serious, as a long time ago I had surgery on that knee and they thought it was probably only scar tissue. Well, I tore my meniscus in my knee and who knows what else yet. I will know after my surgery on Monday.
I know I will need at least one more surgery on that leg because there is nerve damage in my old scar and the other doctors want to cut, kill and bury the nerves so I will no longer have pain.
What is left after all this is a lot of physical therapy on both legs, massive weight to lose because of lyrica and a hope that the neuropathy pain in my foot leaves me forever.
I just feel like I no sooner fix one thing that something else that had to compensate so I could function then breaks down. Apparently, I don't know how not to have this happen and just get well.
There have to be others having similar problems. Are you feeling as isolated as I do? Like on Exile Island at times. And all of this has happened in the last two years since my first back surgery. I am just so tired. Yet I must continue cause I have put too much into this already, but when will it ever end????????
Thanks for reading this.

• I am sorry that you are going through this.

Keep posting about your progress.
  • It sounds rough what you're going through. Are you using a cane to compensate? Anyways, I know the Island it's been the place to hang out lately. I hope you get some improvement and pain relief. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Julie~It does appear to have been a rough past 2 years for you,and that can take a toll on our emotional health and strength.I sure wish that I had the answers,because saying,'keep your chin up',or some other such inspirational quotes just don't cut it when we get overwhelmed and just so tired of it all.

It's interesting that you mentioned overcompensating,and how you might not know how to 'not to have this happen.' It's common how we do that-using other parts of our bodies where one is weak--and I can't stress enough how important it is to be aware of this.Otherwise we do end up causing more,and other problems leading from pain to future surgeries.You,at least,are aware that you have been overcompensating-I was obviously a slow learner,at least in this respect-lol.

I have a lot of weight to lose too-so you're not alone there.Here's a nice website that might lift your spirits a little bit.I don't know how active you are,or if you are immobile right now in pain-but myself,I try to read a lot of 'good stuff' to keep me in a positive state of mind.I hope this is the last of your surgeries and you have the best ahead of you.

• hey Julie,
    Wow, sounds like you've been thru the wringer!!!
    I understand the frustration,and maybe even the pain.
    Stay positive if you can....And know you've got someone thinking about you....Sagehen
  • I'm sorry to hear of all your surgeries. I am curious what kind of doctor did the scar tissue surgery and how it turned out. What did they do? Has it helped or have you just grown more scar tissue?
  • I keep hanging around this site cause I have no other place that I really belong where people have been through what I have been through or understand the pain. I will let you know how surgery turns out. Thanks for responding.
  • Hi use my cane mainly to help me determine changes in levels of floors so I no longer have to watch my feet to walk. Plus people stay a good distance away from me.
    I hope I get some relief and improvement too. And I hope it comes after this surgery on Monday.
    I hope you continue to improve too.
  • I am not familiar with your whole story but it sounds like we have several things in common. Lyrica made me gain it and quickly. I couldn't walk on my numb foot and my knee was horribly painful and didn't know why. So I couldn't exercise at all. Now that I know my knee is hurt, I hope this surgery will fix it and I can start exercising and getting both legs recovered. Two leg surgeries in on month is a lot and I want them to heal and then get stronger so I can walk off this weight. I am getting closer to this.
    Thanks for your support. I am usually upbeat, but once in a while I dive bomb. That is when I ask for support to help me climb back up.