Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg length

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It is alnost a year since I had a five level lumbar fusion with rods and screws. After outpatient therapy the peridal(sp) nerve damage to the good leg is better. The severe back pain over the area where they took out the bone for the fusions was no better.
Both my in home physical therapist and now the out patient therapist said my right leg is much shorter then the left. Both therapist recomended a lift. They both told the Dr. that. He does not agree. During therapy she would have me take the left shoe off. This caused a real difference in my balance and the pain was less. At the end of therapy I started walking in the house with the L shoe off. There was enough improvement I went and bought a lift. While I am not pain free, I have less pain and my walking has improved. Has anyone else had this problem after surgery. Also do you think this will cause other problems down the road. If I had to do it over I would not have had surgery. But God is good and at least I am some better.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi marltom,
    It sounds like your p.t. is on to something. I've never had my legs measured, but the left on has quite a bit of nerve damage. Maybe I should have mine measured.
    Your Dr. may not be right just because he has a degree.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • This is an old post but JUST what I was looking for. Before my L1-L5 fusion with 12 screws, 2 rods, and a cage, my left leg is now shorter than my right leg. This was not the case before surgery. I have a doctor's appointment next week and I will mention it to him then. I'm wondering why this happened and if it continues, what kind of problems there will be in the future because of it. I can't even stand up straight because of it. I am quite worried. I really don't have any pain in my legs but I would imagine within time it could cause problems. I had my surgeries on March 11 and March 13. Any thoughts?
  • Hi,
    I had an x-ray where they were able to measure the length of my leg bones to tell me the difference in my legs and that left my podiatrist know not to put in the lift. My Osteopath was able to adjust my hips to make them even.
    You have just started your healing blambert, PT will help build your core strength and hopefully allow you to stand up straight. Healing takes a long, long time. I can tell you from experience that walking on feet or legs that aren't even does affect other parts of the body.
    I hope you heal straight.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    This happened to a friend and he has to now wear a leg brace. My wife just informed me. I had forgot. I need to check in with him and see how he is doing.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • My legs appeared to be different lengths when I was having l4/l5 issues. It was because my body was compensating to free up the nerve and my hips were rotated