Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Hospital Stay

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I should say the staff of the hospital was wonderful when I had my cervical laminectomy. I had no post op anesthesia problems at all. The most that happened was slight nausea the first time I ate.

I was in the hospital 4 days. They always gave me insulin shots before meals. I am type 2 diabetic and non-insulin dependent. I take pills for my diabetes. But for some reason they do this post-op for in-patients. They checked my temperature and blood pressure and blood sugars regularly.

The physical therapist had me walk short walks each day. Each bed had a button I could push and call for help if I needed help with anything. The staff responded quickly and without complaint each time.

The hospital bed was not near as comfortable as my bed at home. Lol. Interestingly they had a device they wrapped around each of my feet that compressed and decompressed constantly. I think that was to prevent blood clots. It was not uncomfortable. I slept well each night.

The nurses injected antibiotics thru an IV in my hand from time to time. I woke up with a catheter on. While it was mildly uncomfortable it was not bad. They took the catheter out the second day. That experience was unpleasant. Urinating was mildly painful for maybe a day then cleared up.

All in all...great staff, great hospital.

Ken GreyEagle

• I'm so glad to hear you had a good experience with both surgery and the hospital stay. Take it easy at home and don't overdo - keep us posted on how you are feeling!

Take care,

• That's good all went well with your surgery and hospital stay. I wish all goes as well as you recover. Take it easy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm so glad that your surgery and hospital stay went so well. I'm with Cheri though. Don't try to do to much until you're feeling better. I know there is a family who needs you but they need you well most of all.