Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Permanent SCS was placed Friday!

gemyorkggemyork Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Management
Hi Everyone. Well, I did it! After fighting with my old insurance company since last June and changing insurance companies April 1, I finally got my SCS on Friday. I am so excited about it. The sugery itself was not a very big deal. I was awake when I needed to be and asleep for the other parts. During one part I was dreaming that whatever the doctor was doing to me hurt alot (which it probably did, but I was supposed to forget!), so in my sleep I was trying to email him to tell him to stop what he was doing because it hurt!! lol I woke up in recovery and left the hospital about an hour or so later. I was there from 7 am until noon. The representive came in and we set up a few programs on the remote for me to try until I see him again tomorrow.

Already my legs don't hurt! I am thrilled. The only thing that still hurts is where they put the battery pack. That went above my hip on my back, higher than where my jeans wasteband sits so that they don't rest on it. At the moment that area hurts about an 8.8 but I know it's temporary. I am taking vicodin and sometimes benadryl because pain meds make me itch. I find positioning myself to sleep in my bed is dificult due to the pain. And sometimes I need help getting out of a chair or sofa because it feels like that spot is burning or ripping and hurts sooo bad. Again I know that that is temporary, so I can just deal with it. Hopefully it wll be much better by Tues. How long did that pain last in any of you that already have your permanent SCS? I forgot to say, mine is lumbar and is Boston Scientific.

Good luck to those of you who are about to get your trial and/or permanent SCS! I soooo love the buzz it makes me feel instead of pain!

• So happy for you!! I got mine 1/5/09 and am in heaven, most days. I still have pain, but it is like a far away pain and definitely easier to handle. Just got back from a week of travel with hubby that included dancing! Who knew?

The SCS is such an amazing device and I'm so happy it is helping you. I had my IPG placed in my hip just below where jean would hit, and I've not had much discomfort. I think I was already numb in that area, so that definitely was a plus. lol

Mine is also lumbar but ANS/St. Jude Eon Mini. I have primarily radicular nerve pain, S1 to be exact.

Take it very very easy for 6 to 8 weeks until your leads scar down - super duper careful. But just imagine what you might be able to do with your life after that!!

Take care,

• I just had my SCS trial and like both of you I was thrilled with the outcome!! At loooooong last no pain in my legs and feet!! They gave me a taste of what life would be with the stimulator then they took it away. How cruel!!
    I was in a lot of pain at the implant site because I can only sleep on my back!! I can leave the stimulator on when I get the permanent implant and that will ease the pain in my hip joints so I can sleep on my sides....I hope. I have bersitis(?) in both joints and it is very painful to lay on.
    I am so very happy for both of you now that you are buzzing!!Life is good again!!
    Hugssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Hang in there! The weeks since my trial were the worst I have experienced in my whole time at this! I guess running a little electric through them really, really makes them angry.
    Since you had a good trial it is time to try and remember it and look ahead!

Of course, reading my posts, does not leave me a shining example of fortitude!

Now, tomorrow should make an end to my waiting !

Hope yours comes quickly too!
  • I'm thrilled that you got your perm. SCS and that things are going so well for you thus far. I got mine on 1/16/09 and it is helping..though I am still in a lot of pain, unfortunately. But..I'm trying to stay positive and, like I said, the stimulator is helping and I'm really glad that I did it.

Yes..def. be careful as you are healing. No bending or twisting or picking anything up for awhile. Do you have help??

• Your loong wait is over as of tomorrow!! I am sooo happy for you my friend!! =D> I prey all goes well.
    Please keep us updated when you feel up to it.
    Happy buzzing!!
    Patsy W
  • Cherish22 and/or All,

My trial started on Tuesday, May 5, 2009. I had a lot of stomach pain and could not find the “area” the first day. The next day, Wednesday, I went back to the doctor for a recalibration. We were able to get close, but not exactly. Yesterday morning, I was able to stimulate the area with one of my presets. Today, most of the presets are all off base.

I know the leads moved during the night. My question is, do the leads move this way after a permanent implant? Also, if I move slightly, the simulation changes greatly. Do you experience this with you permanent SCS?

My condition sounds very similar to yours. I having a hard time with this trial…

Many thanks.
  • Hi. I have had my permanent SCS for two weeks now. Dan, the permanent leads are anchored down somewhat during surgery but you still have to be very careful not to bend, twist, lift, etc. for about 6 weeks until scar tissue forms to hold them in place. I think I moved one of my wires last week when I forgot for a moment and gave a big stretch with my arms over my head. The rep says that everything is ok. I think I am still getting the same coverage but if it changes they can use the floroscope to make sure.

My surgery pain is MUCH better. My first 4 days were not much fun, but not bad after that. Now I have to keep reminding my self not to do all those things not allowed for a while. I put my soft back brace on just to remind me if I am being active. So far I LOVE my SCS! I can sit at restaurants and not look like I have ants in my pants squirming they whole time trying to avoid the pain! I am going to Epcot Center at Disney with my daughter next week. I figure there are not many rides there that would mess this up.

Dan most people say the permanent one is better than the trial. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Wrambler I hope that you are in less pain from your surgery now. I promise by next week it will be even better!

I wish you all a painless weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all us Moms out here!

• I sent you a private message but just saw this. During my trial, the FIRST day, my leads moved down ONE INCH and I didn't even know how that happened. I had to be VERY careful. No bending AT ALL. No lifting AT ALL. No twisting AT ALL. My husband helped me put on panties, socks and pants. I stood straight. My husband shaved my legs and washed my lower body - I stood straight. He helped me in and out of bed, just to be on the safe side. I sat in a chair and barely leaned forward to brush my teeth. I could go on and on. I imagined I had a concrete brace on my back and I did not bend. Period.

Once I had the permanent placement, I was still that careful. For 6+ weeks. But it is SO worth it.

I recommended you go back for more programming and now that I read this additional, you MUST. Your leads could be near a nerve root or something. They can put you under fluroscope and try to reposition the leads OR just move up or down on the nodes they are using to get a different program.

Please do not go through the weekend feeling like this. You might as well turn it off if that's the case.

Take care,

• It is mostly a matter of trying to behave now. I have been leaving the unit off to avoid running the battery down. They asked me not to charge for 2 weeks. My pain meds are doing pretty good since I do not do anything all day my pain is behaving!

Dan, The leads are more stable after permanent placement since they are anchored deeper and very close to the spine.
    Mine is cervical and I am wearing a soft cervical collar. My PM talked to my wife and strongly urged her to keep me wearing the collar! He told her the danger of lead shifting is significantly reduced when the collars are worn for 6 weeks. So, I am sitting here wearing the collar!

Many people are not given collars, or other means to restrict movement. I am not inclined to take any chances at all! I really want this to be a lasting experience!