Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbosacral plexus

kstarrkkstarr Posts: 19
Does anyone have any experience with pain being caused in ths area? I have had 10 years of left-sided buttocks, hip and leg pain. Had MRIs, EMGs, microdikectomy, injections and a trial SCS. Last week I saw pain mgmt doc and he said that despite the MRI and the back problems it shows he now thinks the pain may be coming from the lubosacral plexus. I have to have an EMG (last one was maybe 8 yrs ago). I am not looking forward to that test but I am so hopeful they will be able to nail down the source of this pain.

• with all do respect to your doctor the lumbosacral plexus is a pretty broad term and I've never heard of it being a "diagnosis" Did he say he saw this on the MRI? I was confused there...

We probably all have some problems in there as it includes the lumbar plexus, the sacral plexus and the pudendal plexus. There are nerves all intertwined from the thoracic 12 vertebra down to the sacrum. The nerves branch out off each other or through the verterba and make us have feeling, numbness etc in our legs or wherever it may be they also innervate major muscles to help us move. Its a complicated "plexus"

I just wanted to say this in case you start to get the run around. Maybe google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Take Care
  • Still a month away for the neuro appointment, that is just to decide if I make another appointment for the EMG.

My understanding is the EMG would help identify more specifically where the problem is coming from. I did have an EMG about 7-8 years ago that didn't find anything specific so I don't hold out tons of hope but I feel I have to try.

Of course, this entire 10 years has been a run-around in a way. I have been to this pain clinic since last October and have had 2 epidural injections, the spinal cord stimulatator trial and now this. Meanwhile, taking percocets and not having adequate pain control.

Sad because I think I will end up either taking these pain meds the rest of my life and still having pain or just dealing with pain. Thank you for taking the time to answer me and I apologize for not responding sooner.
  • Have you been checked out for piriformis syndrom? This is a "diagnosis" that comes in and out of fashion, at least according to my surgeon. It is also difficult to prove or disprove. It is usually diagnosed by the elimination of everything else, and then by being unable to perform certain stretches. However, I have found that if a person is flexible, the "stretch test" doesn't always make a good predictor.

It often just occurs on one side of the body and mimics all the symptoms of sciatic pain.