Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post off PLIF (L5, s1) question

pepper09ppepper09 Posts: 138
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have my 6 week post op appointment tomorrow. It is actually 4 days earlier than actually being 6 weeks from surgery. I am doing GREAT, EXCEPT in the morning after I get out of bed and take the first few steps I feel a little discomfort in my right hip area. Then after I have walked around a little and have taken 2 hydrocodones, it gets better. But then I drive to work and it takes 1/2 hour and when I get out of the car and take the first few steps I feel that discomfort in my hip area. Before surgery, the discomfort in my hip area was pain and it would should down my right leg. It was more than the first few steps that were painful and I couldn't walk most of the day without limping. But, surgery has stopped the shooting pain.

Does anyone else experience the right hip area discomfort? I still have non painful sensations down my right leg and a feeling on my right side where I used to have pain, but the pain is gone, I just have the feeling. Nothing else bothers me and I feel like I could start jogging when I am out walking and I have caught myself running down and skipping up stairs at work and at home....just because that's how I went up and down stairs before I started having back problems....so that's all good :) I guess I'm thinking that I am suppose to be 100% better, but maybe I'm going to have the right hip pain twice a day for the rest of my life????

• I have nothing to tell you about what you posted (LOL) but just want to say that I'm glad you're doing well. Maybe we'll all have pain the rest of our lives. :W

Take care.
  • Is that where they took any bone for your fusion? My hips are stiff too when I get up, takes a few minutes to walk it off and sometimes longer. I think the fusion kinda, for a lack of better words, feels like it "locks" them into place unlike they were before. Have you had PT? Maybe they could answer your question :-C or offer suggestions on ways to limber you up and make your awakening easier. Glad you are doing so good at 6 weeks, I am at 4 and can totally relate to wanting to run and skip - I feel great compared to before too! =D>