Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF Sensations???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK all, I have another question:

My surgery was 5 days ago now and I do feel pretty good. Only one level C6-7 (I really have to create a signature), and I am having some pretty interesting stuff going on. I had some very slight heavy feeling in my right arm, not the side that was in pain and weak, and it seems to have gotten a little worse since surgery. The left side (Reason for surgery) is feeling really good. I have also felt a little pain in the right arm, just a little not much. And, my right pinky finger feels like it wants to stop working, almost stiff??? Is this normal after surgery and should I expect some more random weird S***? Or should I be Sh****ng bricks that something was missed?

Don't all answer at once, get in line in single file and answer in the order you arrived.

Thanks for your time

• I'm just a few days out of my first surgery as well, and one of the things I was told I would be fighting during this time is swelling/inflamation. Inflamation can put temporary pressure on nerves the same as more permanent formations in your spine. Since you're only 5 days into it, I wouldn't panic but follow up with your surgeon first. Who knows, you could be having a reaction to meds for that matter. Good luck.
  • inflamation like you said. Kattoo, im not sure if I have any nerve damage. The only meds I am taking at the moment are tylenol. I know it is stupid, but I despise medication. Anything that leaves my mind with that fuzzy feeling has got to go.

Hey Geek, your avatar is friggin creepy.

I have my first follow up with my surgeon on Wednesday. I hope this is all related to surgery because if he missed something I will be PI**ED. He is supposed to be the best there is and I paid a LOT out of pocket to have him work on me.

So Kattoo, how have you been getting along, I know you are only a few weeks ahead of me and the same age. How is your ROM, I don't even notice I have a plate inside me and can move my head great. I cant wait to see my cut.
  • I have had some unusual symptoms at times. No pain other than my old muscle pain when I do too much. My tingling comes & goes with no rhyme or reason. I get a weird feeling in my calves/shins that I didn't have pre op...not pain...kinda hard to describe but not really uncomfortable. The heaviness I used to get in my left arm is gone. I've never had nerve pain so I'm lucky there.

I'm at 4 weeks today & I feel good. Bored outta my mind but good. I'm walking 6 miles a day. I no longer take anything for pain. I use moist heat for my muscle knots/tightness & am going to PT twice/week to try to help that. At 6 wks when my collar comes off (hopefully) I will be able to start exercises in PT as well. Hoping to be cleared for work at 8 weeks. My job is very physical.

Good luck with the recovery!
  • I am 5 weeks post-op today. I have had different sensations throughout the healing process as well. I get some muscle spasms here and there. Just the other night, my shoulder started to really ache while sleeping, which kept waking me up. It continued aching, along with my elbow all the way to my wrist. It was really weird. I noticed it again a little last night while sleeping. I noticed that I really felt it when laying on that side. (I know, I know, so don't sleep on that side!) :o)

If nothing else, I have learned that everyone has completely different feelings/sensations/pain during recovery. Be sure to discuss with your surgeon. Mine said that there is a lot of inflamation from the surgery itself, so it will be a while until things calm down.

Hang in there!
  • Yea I know everyone is different but I just figured I take a stab at it. You sound like you are doing pretty good there Newfienurse! Awesome to hear it! I have walked at least 7-8 miles a day since day one. Doc said walk as much as much as your body lets you. If my damn leg did not hurt so much (Also a new friggin symptom), I would be knocking out 15+ miles a day, I feel really good physically and have not had that drained feeling yet.

Keep up the good recoverys guys, We will all beat this together >:D<

• OK, NOW I'M P****D OFF! Just started to feel good again before after my walk and now I have PAIN! the same pain post surgery but on the other side WHAT GIVES????

Someone please tell me this is normal, Please!

Right shoulder blade and right tricep are burning, it was the same way on the left side when I had the original onset 2 months ago. I think the doctor played around with all my nerves when he was in there.

COME ON!
  • it's probably payback for being a Giants or Jets fan ;) Well, maybe that was presumptuous of me, since you might not like either team.

Anyway, I'm following your recovery, since I'm also intending to go minimalist on the post op meds, and I want to get back into everything ASAP after surgery next month.

As for your various and new symptoms, just give it time I suppose, and take it easy.
  • Big time! Good luck with your surgery and recovery. I'm a firm believer in being able to get through anything. I do hope in time the symptoms pass. I actually have my first post op appt tomorrow with my surgeon so I will throw them past him. The guy has been doing these for like 25 years so I'm sure he has had a couple of similiar cases.

Go Jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Let's see it's been 17 days now since my 2 level ACDF, and I always had pain in my right arm but now I have it in both. Left isn't too bad but still. Across the shoulders hurt and of course the neck itself. Over the last few days I have finally been able to sleep more than 4 hours and in an actual bed!

Went to my first post-op visit today and the tape was removed. My neck looks pretty good considering...

They also gave me Neurontin aka Gabapentin has anyone taken this before?

I guess I'll just have to wait four weeks to see what the x-rays look like.

NJ - everybody heals differently. Your whole body is probably reacting to "what just happened here," I know mine still is.

• If I'm not the only one feeling this than I can relax a little. My first post op was yesterday, only 8 days after. My neck also looks shockingly good, kind of like a long red welt. Doc told me it would turn purple soon but who cares. I still have to wait 6 more weeks for my X-Rays, Damn!

I am kind of confused about my doctor, I have said this in other posts about him being Crazy, but he told me I could get back on my bike as early as next week, Only a little more than two weeks out???

He is an avid cyclist like me so he knows exactly what I ride and how I ride (Picture Lance Armstrong) same style. He did tell me to ride a little less aggresive than normal but it seems his idea of getting back to normal activities is WAYYYYY faster than most if not all other surgeons. He is also known to be one of the best on the east coast. He actually had me doing pushups in his office to see where my chest strength is, PUSHUPS REALLY? Here I am getting in and out of the recliner and bed real careful and trying not to lean in any weird position and he says "Lets see you do some pushups, I know you said you could do a lot before"

WHo knows, Maybe I will be on the bike soon, But not next week, I kind of want to have a solid neck first.