Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

quadruple ADR

slgsslg Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My 47-old husband is planning a 4-disc ADR with Maverick discs. Does anybody have experience with this type of surgery? Risks? Success?
I appreciate any advice,

• I was unaware that there has been approval of a 4 disc ADR. If you read up on the latest discussions on ADR, you will find it to be somewhat controversial.

I wish your husband the best.

• Were can I find the latest discussions on ADR? Please help us...
  • At the top of the page you will see a search box next to the Spine Health name. Type in ADR and hit return or search. It will bring up the different threads discussing ADR.
  • Sorry, I already did that, but I don´t find anything about quadruple ADR.
    Thanks anyway....
  • You are the first I've ever seen post about a quadruple ADR, which is why I mentioned being unaware of it being approved. Even single ADR's are controversial and many are opting to have a standard fusion instead.

• I had a triple ADR in my cervical for C4-C7 2 months ago. I had t he prodisc Nova done in germany, not sure there are any US doctors doing 3 level ADR;s. Im 2 months out and doing fairly well. I was doing great a few weeks ago but I overextended myself 2 weeks ago and still trying to get back to where I was. I have some pretty good days and then some not so good days. Either way, Im better off than I was pre op, thats for sure. I am very happy with what it has done for me so far, no more nautious nerve pain. ANd now, I can lay in bed whenever I want with aboslutely no pain at all, thats really nice. If I take alleve or maybe a pain med, I can feel really well almost every day. Its just that I try to not take those every day to see how I am doing.

This surgery takes anywhere form 3 months to 9 months to recover from, some rare patients report taking 2 years to get fully better.

Im working 6 hours days now and can get out and about to do whatever I want, even if in some slight pain or discomfort. Im happy with it so f ar, and I expect improvement to keep coming my way over the many upcoming months.
  • Thanks!! Glad to hear your success!
    My husband is very active now, but he has pain only when he stands up. He doesn't take pills every day, only when pain is too much. Do you think it is worth for him to have this surgery, since he is not that bad? Aren´t the risks higher than the benefits in his case? It's the first time for his doctor to do this 4-dics ADR. I´m so afraid....
  • If your husband still has a viable life, I would be hesitant to do something so radical, especially if this is a first for the doc. Unless at 47 your husband wants to become a science project ...

I'm 47 and don't know if I'd be willing to be a guinea pig in the manner of being a first for a quadruple ADR. That's just me though.

One thing to keep in mind with ANY SPINE SURGERY, is that it is like opening Pandora's Box. Some can do so without any fallout, whereas others have life changing experiences and not necessarily for the better.

Does your husband risk permanent nerve damage? Does he lose days off from work? Has he lost strength or the ability to function? What levels is the doctor considering the ADR for?

Knowledge is power. Keep up the good work and research as much as possible!

• Your husband wants to do a 4 level ADR with a surgeon with no 4 level or even limited ADR multi level experience? A guinea pig he is. I hope this doc is considered one of the top 1% in his field. My advice, go to Germany where it is half the cost and where there are the most talented and experienced ADR surgeons in the world. Google adrsupport to find the forum dedicated to ADR surgury info. The Germans are teaching the american doctors on multi level ADR. Very few us doctors have done alot of multi levels, probably only a few 4 levels. The german docs have done many 4 levels. With multi level, the alignment has to be perfect, no room for error.
  • i had a 3 level ADR done here in the USA L-3 to S-1 yes they are being approved and the Ortho i visited has done this many times. great success for me i have never been better. short recovery, better mobility and i feel great. good luck to you in your future endeavors.
  • My husband's damaged discs are L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1
    It's nice to hear your advices.
    He is thinking if he can have replaced two discs now(the ones that are worse) and the other two later if he has success. What do you think?
  • good morning, well i understand your concern about only wanting to perform two levels. that would be a decision to be made by you and your doctor he knows best. for me the choice was to go with my docs best recomendation, i trusted him right from the start, and it was a good one for me. all of my lower discs are degenerative, and with that finding i was not wanting to go through it all again. and as i mentioned earlier we are all so different. after having been through a major surgery, with great success i would do it all over again but that doesnt necessarily have to be the case with others. it was my decision to do it all at once. what i can tell you is that i ended up having better mobility than those with having done a fusion. and i say this due to the fact that i hear so many have to go back into surgery for revisions. that wasnt for me, i wanted to be done and over with. i was advised that the adjacent discs would be less stressed by having done a replacement versus a fusion. this took place after visiting with a doc that was going to perform a fusion, then i went for a second opinion, and that was the decision maker. i had done my homework on this for several months during conservative treatment. so with that been said, i recommend you do the same. good luck with what ever you choose to do. and remember all the info i post here is my own personal experience, and is not that of a medical professional. talk to you soon.
  • Were you in pain all day before the surgery?
    Did you have to take medication every day?
    Did you sleep well?
    Was your pain situation unsustainable?
    As you can see, we have a lot of questions...
    Thanks again...
  • Can you share with me where you had your surgery and who performed it? I would appreciate it...
  • Feel free to email me as I don't frequently visit site.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have :)
  • Slg ,

I was in moderate pain in the days but horrible pain in the evenings. I could sleep only with alleve and double dose pain medications. Even with doping up on pain meds, I was miserable. I stopped participating in social activities, I stopped exercising, I was fearful because I started feeling I did not want to live anymore!! I had irritating below the waste symptoms which kept me miserable, I hated the constant crackling and grinding in my neck. Surgury saved my life!!!! Even now I'm still recovering and have soreness and burning in my neck and traps, And some discomfort where my new discs are,.....I am THRILLED at my new lease on life. I'm only 2 months out, slowly improving. Most of my current issues are muscle related , after all, i grew 1 to 1.50 inches taller, so my muscles were really stretched. So I'm confident in a full recovery within 6 to 12 months.
    If your husband can still enjoy life with just some pain meds and conservative treatment, and doc says no danger to permanent damage to nerves, then surgery may not be worth the risk. I think surgury should be done when all conservative treatments fail and when living life becomes a burden. My 2 cents worth. : )
  • My husband has squeduled his 4-level surgery for may 13! We spoke with the Dr. yesterday and we are epecting everything is going to be ok...
    We have a long way to go now...
    Thanks for all your advices. We´ll be in touch with the news...
  • please come back and let us know how he makes out with his surgery.I had a three level done in canada,C4-7. My surgeons office still call it a fusion but what he really did was an ADR on me. I had perfect mobility,until my car accident and i will get it back again its just stiffened back up from tightened muscles.my doctor has done many ADR and he had a great reputation i waited a very long time to have surgery done by him.My quality of life has been totally changed by my surgery and i would do it again in a min.
  • Hi!
    We are finally home! The surgery was 6 days ago, My husband has now 4 Maverick discs from L2-L3 to L5-S1!! Huge thing! He had a good recovery from the anterior surgery but he is still on some pain in the S1 area. Even with meds. He is taking Oxycontin, Neurontin and Notolac. Is this normal? We have app with the Dr on friday.
    Thanks for your advices and support.
  • that he's home and doing ok.Pain is definitely normal for having such a big surgery.Hopefully things calm down for him in the weeks to come. good luck with the doctors apt. and tell him to get lots of rest and not to be doing too much.
  • That's a huge procedure, keep us posted on his progress. Can you tell me where the surgery was performed?

Great Luck with the post op recovery!
  • We are from Caracas, Venezuela. His Dr. has a lot of experience replacing discs up to 3 levels but never 4. So this is his first time.... :S... Our assurance Co. paid for the surgery and the government pays for the discs.
    He is still in low bak pain even with meds. We want to know if this is expected one week post op. We guess so.
    Waiting ad waiting...
  • Hi!
    Two weeks after his 4 level surgery he is doing well. Some bothering in the tummy and some pain in the lower back, even with gabapentin and some anti-inflamatory meds. He is walking 2 kms daily in 20 min sessions. We have a walker at home.
    Being seated for long is still unconfortable.
    We are considering going to a concert this week-end (a nice is singing opera), looking for a confortable seat so he can stand up a while and walk a little. What do you think?
    age 47, male
    2006 Discectomy
    2007 Discogram
    2008 Epidural
    2009 May 13th, 4 level ADR L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 (Maverick Discs) in Venezuela
    Doing well so far

• I had a two level fusion and my Dr did not want me to sit any longer than to eat meals. I think it might be a bit soon , but what did your Dr say? If you go make sure he can stand and walk most of the time and have fun.
  • Here we are one month later.
    My hubby is doing well so far, today we had the 4th week appointment and RX look really good.
    He is taking very little dosis of an anti-inflamatory and gabapentin once a day. He walks a lot in his walker, 2-3 km in 30 min sessions daily.
    Not allowed to drive nor doing PT yet.
    Feeling a little better every day.
    Just to encourage others with a good story (so far)...
    BTW, we went to the opera, and afterwards to a restaurant! It was too much! A small drawback...
  • We had the 8th week appt with the Dr., everything is looking in place.
    Permission for driving!! Hurra!!
    Today, his first PT session. Gentle streching and so...Also swimming twice a week. Walking in treadmill 2-3 km a day.
    Only Neurontin 300 mg in the morning and 300 mg at night. Looking forward to be off meds soon.
    Slowly getting back to normal life... Feeling better and better...So far.
    Permission for a plane travel in sept!!
    I hope this post helps you guys... Hang on
  • It is sure great to hear of these stories. I am having one level adr and one level fusion. I wish they would have done 2 level adr on me but they said they are not happy with results at the L4/5 level with adr. Oh well, 20 days and counting!
  • Hi everybody!
    An update:
    Five months after his 4-level lumbar ADR, my husband is doing absolutely fantastic!
    He is doing his exercises daily and swimming 24 pools twice a week! Loss weight.
    No meds. No pain.
    We even traveled to NY by plane, a 5 hour trip, and walked a lot in Manahattan. No problem at all.
    Just to keep you hopefull...
  • So, in hind site would you of just done fusion and no disc replacement? Does Dr B come to states to do work?

• Hi, I was just reading your post, and was wondering how your husband is getting on now.

Perhaps you have stopped visiting this site because he is back to his life again.