Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tramadol Guilt

adam3iversonaadam3iverson Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My name is Adam and i am a 22 years old. i broke my neck in 2004(c3,c4,and c5, with a H-plate and bone graft insertion). since my accident i have been taking tramadol to ease the pain. recently iv been contemplating taking tramadol because i feel very guilty for taking it. it really helps with my pain, but from seeing and hearing negitive comments about it im starting to feel guilty for taking it. im assuming ill need to take it for the rest of my life as my pain has if anything increased since my accident. if you have any ideas to help my mentality about taking tramadol that would be greatly appreciated :)

• Hi Adam. I'm not sure what you mean by guilt. Do you really mean that you are unsure whether or not to take pain medication at all?
    Pain is one of the most common problems affecting people, and the appropriate treatment of it can take a little time, effort and testing to determine.
    If the pain is affecting your way of life and stopping you from doing the things you want to do, then you need to take treatment for it.
    There is no point in living in the shadows of life when good treatment is readily available.
    Tramadol is a very effective pain killer for most, while some can have an adverse reaction to it and are unable to take it.
    As with many medications, addiction can develop, but must not be confused with a genuine need for pain relief.
    I understand that there is in fact insufficient treatment given for pain, with doctors preferring to avoid any repercussions, and too bad about the patients life.
    Can you explain more clearly what problem Tramadol is posing for you?
  • it is different for all of us....i would hassarred to guess all of us have had the guilts/self doubts about the medication we take. I have tried to see what life is like with out this one or that - just to break free sometimes.

but the bottom line for me is this:
    1. I wouldn't be able to move without them.
    2. If i had diabeties I wouldn't even be having this internall discussion
    3. I take only as perscribe and sometimes, i under perscribe
    4. I make sure that a few people in my life know exactly what i am taking and why and how - to keep me honest
    5. Finally, i try not to rely on just the meds for improvement - exercise, eating habits and so on.

I finally came to peace with the medication for myself - but that took over a 1 and 1/2 from the start of all this pain. In fact today I am grateful for the medication, without it I would not have any real quality of life and all those who are close to me would unfortunately suffer - pain can make a person very mean and unproductive.

I hope that you are able to find some piece, a broken neck sounds like a legitimate injury.
  • I don't understand at all why you would feel guilty about trying to relieve your pain. Its not like you asked for the accident to happen and taking perscribed medication to relieve your pain is nothing to feel guilty about.Some people can take tramadol and some people can't.Just like with a lot of other medications.I was on it for a period of time before my surgery and it helped me out immensely.To stop taking a drug just because other people seem to have a problem with it isn't going to help you out at all.
  • hey thankyou all for your replies. the reason why i feel guilty for taking them is because i suppose they cant be good for your insides after a long period of time, and as i will be taking it for years to come i feel im not doing the right thing for my overall health by doing so. also i sometimes think to myself if my pain is bad enough for me to be taking them, in comparrison to other peoples pain levels. i think to myself, if someone else was in my shoes, would they be taking tramadol or will they be taking a lower (or possibly higher) pain killer? however like you all said it helps emmencily with my pain levels so why think negitively about it when it is helping my life out in positive ways. i need to develop a positive attitude towards them so i feel good about taking them, rather than guilty. at the end of the day, i am lucky to be alive and walking so i cant complain that i have pain, if anything i should be greatful that i can feel the pain
  • Adam, I understand where you are coming from now, as I had a very similar attitude towards pain killers until very recently.
    I always felt that drug taking led to dependence, and also that I was being a bit weak in wanting all pain gone. So I was under-medicating and putting up with more pain than I should have.
    As well, I'd always delay taking something until I felt it was really necessary, so lived in a bit of a half-world, neither in a lot of pain but not well enough to live happily.
    After speaking to my new physio, and thinking about it, I now medicate more readily, as it lets me get on with life and my new exercise routine as well.
    Already this new exercise routine, including remedial massage, has dramatically reduced my neck and shoulder pain, so I take far fewer pills.v
    Even so, I still question every one I take, and wonder if I really need to take it. Sometimes the pain goes immediately after taking it, as the pains come and go. Other times the pain will suddenly escalate and I have lost my opportunity to tame it.

In your case you have to look at your life without pain meds and see if it is satisfactory to you. How much is the pain reducing your quality of life?
    Once you can see how bad your life has become because of pain, you can then put the medication into perspective.
    So I suspect that you don't really appreciate what your life has become through having chronic pain, and until you do you will have those doubts.
    These are good doubts, by the way, as you do need to keep a very close watch on all medications and treatments.
    You may also find other drugs that work for you. What about exercise to relieve sore muscles?
  • Adam,

I understand you to! My mother is a pill addict, but I love her very much. The thought of becoming addicted to medicine is a fear of mine. I am precribed tramadol too and I only take it when the pain is severe. I should probably take it all the time, but I don't.

You are young and you should have a quality of life. If the medicine helps, take it. Don't feel guilty! Live your life!

If you need anything, let me know I will be their!

Good Luck!