Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 Microdiscectomy recovery showing signs of l5/s1 issues?

rolorrolo Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a MicroD in march on l4/l5 for sciatica to the point of not being able to walk. My recovery has been decent. Recently the outer part of my foot is feeling hot and numb, and the calf pain is more in the middle/back/upper than outer like before. I leaned forward to look into the mirror today and got the familiar nerve pain in the butt down, and the butt pain may be a lil more towards my center than before when it was near the hip.
Anyone have this and found out it was normal? I was having a flare up right before these symptoms started.
I called the doc and can't get in before my already scheduled 8 week follow up May 6th.

• I would suggest you take it easy until your appointment. Maybe ice your lower back to help with pain. Lie flat on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms out to the sides close to the body with palms up when you can. This helps to realign the spine and gives the disks a chance to unload. Drink lots of water to keep well-hydrated.

Look online for a DERMATOME MAP. This will show you which nerve innervates which part of the body. Of course each body is not quite as clearly delineated as is shown on the chart...but in general, it gives you a good idea of what's going on.

You are still recovering from your surgery. Hopefully what you're feeling is just a flare and you'll find you have not had an adjacent disk herniate.

xx Gwennie
  • Rolo,

I had a redo MicroD on 3/31 and I still feel some burning sensations and pain in the buttock and lower back. All the discomforts that I have felt so far are mild to moderate and they come and go. At this point I am not too worried. I think it is part of the recovery process.

I do hope that you have not reinjured yourself. good luck and keep us posted.
  • I am seeing the Surgeon today and will let you know.
    My symptoms are mild when standing, medium when sitting.
  • He said I have no weakness of strength nor reflex in the typical l5/s1 disc - so that's great news.
    He thinks my symptoms (l5 and s1 nerve irritation symptoms) are from piriformis syndrome - my butt muscle! Got an Rx and start PT next week.