Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery of an ACDF!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my ACDF surgery on Thursday! The neurosurgeon removed the C6-7 disc, and left C5-6 since it wasn't too bad. Not much pain! Granted, I had pain pills, but frankly, it was easy to forget that it was time to take another pain pill. A slight ache would let me know it was time.

I have a Vista collar, which is quite comfortable. I sleep VERY WELL--the best sleep since my disc herniated. My incision is only a fine line. The hospital staff and the docs were awesome. I'm tickled.

I went home Friday, and we took our time during the three-hour drive, which was a piece of cake until the last 20 miles. The dirt road and fatigue was a bit tough.

All in all, the surgery seems a success, pain is minimal, and I'm just chillin' is a good thing. I hope everyone who is nervous about getting this surgery has an easy time like I had.

And just a THANK YOU to all the folks on this forum for their support. I thought of many of you during this process, and you gave me much relief and support.

• So happy to hear that everything went well for you. Good luck with your recovery.

I am at the 4 week mark today & everything is going really well. I am walking 6 miles/day. I still have some tingling in my extremities but it is much better than pre op. I don't remember the last time I took something for pain. I have some muscle pain when I do too much but I just use moist heat & I started PT last week to help with my muscle tightness & knots.

Take care & try not to overdo it for a while!
  • Congrats on your success so far! I have had a pretty positive experience with my ACDF too. I am 5 weeks post-op today, and I feel pretty good. I really expected to have a much harder recovery process.

The hardest part for me has been not overdoing it. When you are feeling good, it's easy to do too much. Try to relax and let your body heal. Please continue to keep us informed on your recovery.

Take care,