Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help?/ having some kinda electric stimulator thing ?PANICING

wdwgrannywwdwgranny Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Management
i went to NS today AGAIN , because all else in failing , and he is not sure in a fusion will help, he want me to try a thing that stops nerve pain , wiht leads and and a trail thing? he wasnt very informative, i asked if it was a tens unit he said no it is put in surgicallly in lower back? out patient? i am VERY AFRAID that it is something like an discogram i CANT do that again EVER call me a baby , they couldnt even get the needles in with out me cramping so bad my legs would involentary jump off the table.. i have panic attacks so i am panicking here ... are you awake when they put this thing in , so you can tell them it hurts and when it does not??? sorry for silly questions. i am scared to death. but tired of the pain again and again..

• is it like a steriod injection that doesnt really hurt?
  • You're describing a Spinal Cord Stimulator. It's not anything like a discogram. There are many of us on this board that have SCS implants. Just scroll back to the very top of the page and type "SCS" in the search box and it'll bring up LOTS of reading for you.

And don't panic about not understanding it on the first visit, you have to go through several stages (including a psychological evaluation, for most people) before a trial and by the time you get there, you will have a much clearer understanding of what it is and what the procedure involves. :)))

• There quite a few of us around who have gone through the trial and those that have the permanent version in place. A search for SCS will show the posts about them.

The trial lead is indeed placed in much that same way as an epidural steriod injection. Pain is usually very well controlled for the procedure.

I am waiting my permanent placement, 6 days to go!
  • I just completed the trial.When it was installed it was done at an out patien facility.
    They put me to sleep.
    I was awaken for a few minutes only to make sure that they had placed the leads in the right area and that I was getting stimulation.
    Then they put me back asleep until they were done.
    I felt nothing.
    Do not be afraid and best of luck to you.
    Mine trial was a failure as they were not able to stimulate the majority of where my pain is.