Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pregnancy & A Bad Back

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I am 29 yrs. old. My back went out 2 years ago when I was 27. Herniated disc at L5-S1.

I waited 6 months until I resorted to a discectomy. Prior to surgery, I tried EVERYTHING (from epidurals, to pt, to decompression, to ltbp, to acupuncture).

It has been exactly 1 year since the surgery. I still see a chiropracter twice a week. I have an enormous amount of sciatic nerve damage. I can not straighten my leg and there is a constant throbbing down my leg along the nerve.

Prior to the injury, I was very active & flexible. Running 20+ miles a week, doing pilates, etc. So my injury is due to overuse, not neglect/overweight.

Since I already have sciatica & still have a bulging disc, I'm nervous about being able to have a healthy pregnancy. Especially since sciatica is a common ailment during pregnancy.

Does anybody have any success stories for me?!?!?

• I had bad back for the last 17 years, however both pregnancies I have were fine for my back - go figure... Good luck!
  • I am curious what it is that keeps you from being able to straighten out your leg? Is it that the pain is just too much to allow you to do this or is there a physical reason why you cannot do this? Can you still do Pilates?

It will be important to keep your pelvic floor muscles strong. Do you do Kegel exercises? There is now research that shows that pelvic floor dysfunction can cause lower back pain and pain that feels like a disk herniation. Even with the problems you currently have, you should be able to do Kegels.
  • I wonder the same thing Ashlee. Prior to my injury I was very physically active too. I've read a lot about PG and back issues & it scares me too. We'd love to get PG in the future.
  • Does doctor know that you seeing a chiropractor to treat your bulging disc? I ask because most doctors like their patient seek physical therapy over chiropractic therapy,

All my doctors sent me to physical therapist whenever it was needed. Once when I did go to a chiropractor, I went on my own and ended with more pain. Sine they ignore the MRI results showing the bulging disc, treated everything but original reason that I was there. Instead they did some adjustments (scarey) and painful session called : active release therapy (good for muscle). They never talk about how they were going treat my disc issues.

it was a waste of money for me.
  • I stopped seeing my Chiro once I got my MRI (which was a few months after my injury)...I think going to the Chiro hurt me more than it helped after my injury.

Just my $0.02.