Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 months post-op...stopping in to say hi!

inafixiinafix Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have missed this BB! I just wanted to pop in and say hello and let everyone know I am doing really great. It has been 9 months now since my 2 level Dynesys fusion. I went back to work in Jan and by March I was back to pretty much full time. I am currently able to go to the gym 5-6 days a week and I work out for an hour to an hour and a half. As long as I avoid high impact anything I do very well. I spend about 35-40 minutes on the elliptical and also do biking and the treadmill. I am so excited with how well I am doing. I still hurt daily but it is very manageable and as long as I watch my body mechanics I can do pretty much what ever I want. One of the hardest things is swimming. When I do laps my back still gets very tight. It also does not like it when I stand perfectly still for too long. I still use my heating pad for the muscle tension and I still sleep with a pillow between my legs to help balance things. Every now and then I even sleep on my stomach which my NS says is okay if it is comfortable (it's more like far on side with the pillow keeping from going all the way though) My most worrisome issue is actually the neuropathy. It did not go away which I knew was likely. It gets very bad at times. I am not taking anything for it so as long as it doesn't cause too much trouble I am ok. The elliptical seems to aggravate it but as soon as I walk around a bit the feeling comes right back. I won't have another set of films done until July so I don't really know what is going on in there but I think things are healing really well, I hope to be completely fused come those anniversary films! I just wanted to give someone a little hope. There can be life after spinal fusion. I am doing everything I can to take care of myself and I am so grateful for each day. It amazes me when I think back on everything I have been through but I got here and I plan to appreciate and enjoy every bit of it for as long as it will last. I will tell you that I always feel better if I stay active. Being still and "lazy" makes it worse. I have also managed to lose 19 pounds in the last 8 weeks so I am thrilled! I hope to see that the 20th pound will be gone tomorrow! I think about all of you, my spiney friends and hope and pray you are doing well. For all those who have come in since I have been away have faith, do all the homework, follow doctors orders to a tee but above all else you must remain positive, plan to do well use your mind and see yourself strong. It works! I wish you all the very best!

Be empowered and be blessed!

• That's great news about your weight loss. It's good also you're feeling a little better everyday and I hope that neuropathy pain eases up for you. I'm wishing you the best for your recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi, you have done amazingly well, I am having a AILF at the end of June and you have given me hope for the recovery and time after that, thank you, I don't know what to expect but since I have joined here I have gained loads of knowledge and some great tips and advice, all the best for the future,
    Layla x
  • Hi Kelly Jo

Terrific that you've checked back in to give us encouragement.

For the muscle tension, a friend of mine who was fused late 2007 uses a tissue salt for flexibility from the health food store. She said she wouldn't be without it. Could be worth trying along with the Flexeril.

Hope the neuropathy comes good soon. Have you been on Lyrica or do you prefer not to take anything? I take the lowest dose because I don't like being "away with the fairies" too much.

Fantastic weight loss - I bet you feel so much better for losing 19 pounds. Once I started eating properly, I found it so easy to lose weight and not be hungry or crave foods that I shouldn't eat.

Take care

Trish, Western Australia

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Su weeeeeeeeet!

Love to hear your success!

I too have managed to lose some pounds :) Gotta love it. It's WORK though. But, like you said, sitting around makes it worse - it's the same for me.

I've not graduated beyond the elliptical, and it makes me feel SO stiff at times - I have to watch the movement of my back when I'm on it - but hey, I'm up to 15 minutes!

Hope the neuropathy gets better for you.
  • Kelly - it's great to hear that you are doing so well. Keep up the activity and positive attitude. Terri
  • Kelly Jo, great to hear your positive report. I look on SH every so often to see if any familiar names are posting. Most of our group seems to have moved on, but it is so great to run across a familiar name with a terrific update. I agree, sitting around being lazy increases my pain too. So glad you are doing so well. I am almost 9 months out too and so far so good. Take care, Cali-Sue