Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 1/2 months post acdf c 5/6

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am now over 8 months post op. I have now been referred to a NS. I was lucky to get in this afternoon.
My surgeon dismissed me months ago & left the state. He told me that he fixed my neck & there was no reason I should be in so much pain.
My Dr. who is handling the pain issues is the one who originally referred me to the surgeon for the c 3/4 disc. He is very concerned that I am not better. I feel worse now than I did pre surgery.
I am hoping for some answers today. I don't know what I'll hear Or what I want to hear. If the 3/4 disc is what is causing all of this I know I will be very upset.
I really want this to end. I was lead to believe by my surgeon that I would be all better after surgery.
Wish me luck!

• Good luck! I think any doc that tells you you are going to be all better after this type of surgery is apparently not a very good one, or at least not an honest one. They can hope for the best but telling you it is all going to be better is a really unfair, unrealistic expectation to give someone. Luckily my NS told me what he wanted me to get out of this and what he really hoped for but he also let me know that it could not totally take all of the pain away and I may still have pain. There are plenty of people that have this done and never look back, no pain all better. But if you have read a lot on this forum you will see that every single person has a different outcome, whether good or not so good.

I am only 7.5 weeks out from having acdf on C5&6 as well and already am trying to cope with still being in pain. I had been going through horrible pain for at least a year prior and still am, even after surgery. It is still early to really tell if mine is just healing/post op pain or if soomething else is going on. It is a very frustrating, emotional rollercoaster, especially when you were told it would all go away after you had it done.

Good luck to you and hopefully you get some answers. Hang in their and let us know what they say. :)
  • The NS that I saw yesterday said no surgery for now as I now know that it can make the pain worse. I expressed my concerns of living in this pain for the rest of my life. He told me that I still could get better.
    I got a CT scan to be sure that I am fused. I remember my surgeon taking xrays & telling me that I was fully fused at 6 weeks.
    I still am not convinced that there is not something else wrong. Will anything but fusion show on the cat scan? What if I am not fused? Then what?
    I have to go back in 2 weeks for the results. I also had a report sent to my home. If it says I am fused then why do I have to see him again. He'll tell me to get used to it & this is my life.
    My family is upset because if no more surgery is warranted why am I not better, why am I in so much pain? why do I have to keep going to Dr.?
    Sorry for the whining but I am very frustrated & very much in pain & don't know what to do.

• What you do is go get 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th opinions, and make it with docs who have a good reputation, not just some doc a friend or family member swears by. Do this and you will get to the bottom of the pain source. Even though you are fused, maybe there is small bone spurs impinging underneath the fusion that should have been cut off or cleared out, who knows? Maybe you really have facet joint pain and your disc wasn't the issue or was only 1 of the pain causing issues. I'm just guessing at a few possibilities of so many that a talented and determined doctor can get to the bottom of.