Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain and anti depressants

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
I've been on many different antidepressants and combinations over the last 6 years. They all served a purpose, but they all had unbearable side effects or made things worse.
Most recently I was on cymbalta and welbutrin for years. And the cymbalta had side effects that come on over time and get worse. You actually have to ween off slowly.
And My p.t. doc. said if I took prozac, it would help and that I might just like it.
I did at first. It made me a happier person, and was actually even able to laugh. But after about,45 days I got insomnia real bad. And I couldn't figure it out. Until I went on a rx drug a-z site and found out that 19% of the people who take it get insomnia. So now I'm not taking any antidepressants at all. And I could chew nails right now. But I really shouldn't need anything anyway, since I've accepted the fact that the old me is gone and not coming back. Ive stopped being so devastated by what has happend to me and I've been concentrating on what is left for me. And trying to go on with life as it is.
So I really hope I can get back to being somewhat normal without any anti depressants.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• What kind of side effects did you get from Cymbalta? I've been on it for about 3 years now, and can't really notice anything, except there isn't no difference when I miss a day...wondering if it does me any good at all.
  • This med was just tried with my husband(a hefty price I might add), and it made him feel horrible. He felt like he was in a daze, dizzy, just not with it. I know that he needs to take it, but it makes him sick. As for me, if I didnt have my meds for depression, I would not be able to function. I have severe depression, along with a lot of other things. I hope that you will feel okay without the antidepressents. >:D< >:D<
  • Have you tried taking therapeutic dosages of Omega 3 fish oils for your depression? It is good for a whole host of things, including depression. I take the super krill as it is supposed to have less possibility of mercury in it than regular fish oil. It also helps with inflammation.

You might want to read about it on the net and see if it might be worth a try for a couple months.
  • i have had chronic pain for the last forty years due to ankylosing spondylitis. i never considered my self with chronic pain until the difference between chronic and constant was explained.
    for thirty years i mainly took NSAIDS phenylbutazone to celebrex. you name it i probably took it. some had harrowing side effects, some made no difference to me. two almost killed me. ten years ago i was taken off NSAIDS due to angioedema.
    phaseII began next, with opoids. great relief for a few years but then i couldn't see that they meant anything except when i had breakthru pain and doubled up the dose.
    i don't know which came first being depressed and adapting to a depressed lifestyle or actually feeling depressed, a significant loss of loved ones over a short period of time led me to seek help.
    antidepressents helped me through the grief and isolation. i stopped them when after seven or eight months i felt better.... little did i know.
    dr. jeckyl and hyde i presume. i discovered the antidepressents produced a kindler and gentler version of myself which disappears when i don't take them. it's remarkable how they work. my med is effexor. it literally changed my life. i really didn't know what depression was and how it manifests.
    three years ago with a deformed back and head permanently fixed in a downward gaze with no range of motion i encountered a surgeon who told me he could help by surgically performing a group of surgical procedures on the vertabrae of my spine. thus a cervical osteotomey]removing a pie shaped piece of vertabrae in my nack and clamping the rest of my neck together resulting in a head looking forward rather than down. other laminectomies etc were performed further down the spine to l1. c5tol1 screwed and clipped,instrumentated for the future.
    very long hospital stay, several major complications, staff infections, lung collaspe, immobility, halos, body bracing,and more. but the tradeoff to see forward rather than downward has been significant nerve deficits in my arms and slightly in one leg.
    after three years i have permanent damage to my hands. i can hardly get them to do what my brain tells them. prior to surgery i was blessed with above average manual dexterity. there was few tasks i could not perform from playing the piano, model making, plant breeding, to great basketball with great reflexes. all gone. a side effect of surgery that i was informed of[technically] but i thought i could not happen to me.
    so, i took opoids for the last ten years on a daily basis. oxycontin or methadone, with stronger hydromorphone for bad pain. after surgery i began to think the constant use of opoids were not doing much good and only when i added dilauid did i feel less pain. i decided to quit all of them and take them on an as needed basis. to get a doctor to agree with me was a big challenge and mainly unsuccessful. so,i took my health care into my own hands and made the decision to just quit them and see what happens. i tapered myself down for a little more than a month and became free of opiods. and, free of severe pain so far. i won't hesitate to take them for acute pain but, for maintenence i plan to adapt to accepting a little pain and discomfort rather than use a med.
    i also stopped all meds just to see what life was like again.
    i empathise with you if the life you are left with isn't what you planned. i am devastated with my own plight. no pill out there is going to change that. when one is reminded 24/7 that there is significant deficits in the limbs and pain and electric pain aleays coursing through the arms. even effexor can not make me forget about what i have lost. taking a vacation from pills allows one to see how the body functions and if the other maladies of the body are a side effect of a pill or organic in nature.
    i know without an antidepressant i am not a reasonable person. without pain meds, i am surprised how well i cope.without others i learn what symptom is connected to a med and what symptom needs to be investagated.
    overall though i have learned to take control of my healthcare and not let someone who you see for fifteen minutes once or twice a year while typing into computer during your encounter rule the way. if you are informed about your health situation don't be afraid to "challenge authority"

sorry for this diatribe, when you are twenty-five you don't think you will be so disabled at sixty. but it happens.i may be turning the corner to being considered old by ageists i still think like a twenty five year old. the idea that "the doctor knows best" is a myth, don't buy into it. the internet in the right hands can be a very good teacher.

• i was offered them but i did not want to add them to my already growing list of meds. i also have come to the conclusion that the old jon is not arounnd any more. i think that the years i have been on oxycontin and fenatyl have kind of flat lined me emotionally. my emotional state is flat, not depressed, not happy. i believe this is due to the meds over time. i still laugh etc but i guess i do have dperessive issues i believe to constant pain and the meds. would i become different if i went off oxy? i don't know. but if i did i would be more depressed due to increase in pain. i already take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, water pills and baby aspirin for heart eventhough my heart is healthy. it is preventative and adding more meds along with my pain meds would be too much. do any of you take anti depressants and do they help?
    take care
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Jon, I would not take any antidepressants if you don't have to. And even then I think seeing a pain psych. is a better option.
    When I was sent to pain management years ago after it was apparent my surgery was a failure. They had me take a written depression test along with everything else that they did. And my depression score was off the charts. And that's how I started taking them. I may have needed something at the time and I still may need something. we will see.
    amybug, go on to rx drugs a-z.com. and type the drug and click rate your drug. Or something similar. If I can navigate it, anyone can!
    gwennie, I'll give it a try, thanks.
    Good luck, Jim (chewing nails)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I posted a reply here and when I reread the initial post I now realize I do not much see that a question was actually asked.

Tried to delete my reply, but do not see that option!
  • I slept from between 0-4 hrs for 3 years and was useless. I tried them all till I finally found a TRUE Pshycologist and Phsyciatrist. I was finally put on Seroquel along with Lexapro.

The Seroquel is for bipolar, which no one else had diagnosed even after telling everyone else my father had a terrible problem with chemical imbalances taking lithium and other meds. The Seroquel has helped me sleep and saved me from the looney bin. The lexapro helped in the urges for sex dept.

I had a really bad experience with a couple of male yahoos that about drove me over the edge. Female mental health Dr.s helped me the best. Thank GOD for them.

I have more problems with anxiety than depression but I still have a roller coaster of a time with highs and lows. I was a person who tried to stay off meds for as long as I could. I hope there is a day I can get off of them.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    After living with Chronic Pain for all those years and taking all the various pain medications, IRs and ER's along with the other 'bundle' of medications, at times we can almost become
    'neutral', but I think I like your word as your emotional state being Flat
    Over the 30+ years, I have haved some of the standard
    anti-depression medication (amtriptyline,cymbalta). Most of it was to help me obtain a REM sleep.
    I also hear what you are saying about the old Jon! Many people do not realize the overall impacts chronic pain and medication can do to a person's emotional state.
    I have nothing to compare with what the Old Jon was, but I do know that the present Jon is a very knowledgeable person and has been able to provide so much insight and information regarding spinal conditions, especially the pain part of it.
    So, in my books, Jon is a very valuable member here
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Good observation. There was no question. Maybe looking for some support,maybe venting, maybe trying to see if someone else could relate, or maybe just looking for some support.
    It used to be what this place was about.
    Good luck, Jim
  • You don't know this,but I often read your posts.You seem to me like a person who only talks when you have something to say-unlike me-lol-who often yaks it up about not much of anything.So..though I may not reply often in your threads..I often read what you have to say.

About 10 years or so ago I was prescribed antidepressants for seasonal depression-or SADDS.After trying a few different kinds and having no success,I finally did settle on,and get some relief from my sadds,with paxil.My Dr didn't want me to quit taking it in the spring & summer though,and that was when I would get the insomnia-because I didn't get depressed at that time of year.About 4 or 5 yrs ago I weaned off of the paxil (in summer) and haven't taken any AD's since.I weaned very slowly,and with Drs ok,but it was my idea.

I came to terms with CP and the many issues that go along with being a CP patient-as you have,but once in a while I do get a little taken aback,stressed,and even somewhat depressed with and by the dang pain...especailly whenever I get a new pain that lasts for any length of time.I worry that it's going to last forever,along with my 'other' pain.

I'm just starting to think about this..but I'm wondering if we CP patients,those of us who have been in this situation long term and have adjusted (by this I mean accepted,or are just used to the CP)-get 'unsettled' by new,bad,pain-when we feel it is another hanger on.

Wouldn't it be understandable? We are already used to something that is unpleasant and at the best of times,hard to live with-and then something...ANYthing new comes along just whenever we think we are at least in some kind of control !

Well-that's how I read your post..☺
  • thanks for the positive comments ron
    i used to laugh smile tell jokes be happy go lucky etc. now i just walk around with a blank look on my face. i look like i am angry which i am not. i knew a dr who was on anti depressants who had the same look on his face. it was just a blank look, no smile or frown just blank and that is the way i feel lately. i try to go out of my way to be like the old jon but it is a sturggle with pain affecting job evaluations etc. it is hard to be happy when your boss does not understand pain or how it affects the way you act and work. she has not interest in knowing and i have tried to tell her. stuff like this affects emotional states of people also along with the depression of th epain etc
    once again
    thanks for positive comments and support and what i am trying to do to help others not put them down
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • just that in my current stated of nebulae of f*d up thinking I often do not have a way/means of expressing my thoughts in a coherent manner 8}

I write stuff that does not make much sense when I reread it. I find myself just posting down in the Depression section as people will probably understand I have some issues when I do it there =))

Let's try and get my thoughts out here. I think that many people have benefited from AD drugs and would hate to see people throw a blanket over ANY medicine. Sure they all do something wrong to someone! It sucks, however, taking the same medicine away from the people it does help is cruel. Placing the blanket statement to "NOT try it" also does not allow for the fact that placing that statement on ALL drugs will leave a person not knowing they have missed the boat that would help them.

It's a crappy world sometimes, ain't it?

I try to read up on drugs/treatments that are offered me and decide for myself. I also find that after 2 years and 10 months of this pain I will try just about anything, unless it appears to be quackery.

I often find myself feeling sorry for those that have stopped trying and are afraid to try something medically accepted because they are afraid of what might come later in their lives. be it drugs or treatments.

Please understand this is pointed at NO one person in particular! :H

• j.howie said:

Good observation. There was no question. Maybe looking for some support,maybe venting, maybe trying to see if someone else could relate, or maybe just looking for some support.
    It used to be what this place was about.
    Good luck, Jim

I try to post what has helped/not helped me so someone may be helped by it. I also add what my symptoms are. I will not bother you by posting in your threads.

This whole thread And it's intent were misinterpreted by everybody. I'm afraid I wrote it in a way that offended many people. Or at least put them on the defensive. That was never the intent.
    And JD2020 I never wrote anything that was directed to you or at you. My reply that you my have thought was offensive, was not even directed to you. Or at you. I have no problems with your posts. And your not bothering me at all. and the post I made was in reference to a post that was edited out of thread and you probably didn't see. And so maybe thought I was being cruel to you. Not so, I don't have a cruel bone in my body. And If you truly thought so, then I need to apologize to you.
    For all who participated in this post, I would like you to know I must not be to good with words.
    The post was about me, and my continuing struggle with depression and the anti depressants that I have struggled with over the years and I guess, how they effect my chronic pain. I've stated before and the old timers probably remember that I'm a backwards med. kind of person. And meds. affect me so differently than others that I probably shouldn't writ a thread about my personal problems with any drug!
    Right now I'm battling trying to change or stop certain drugs and a case of the flu which causes an unbearable pain spike.
    I'll refrain from posting till I get things under control.
    Good luck,Jim
  • I apologize j.howie. Please do not stop posting on my account. I do not want to add anymore grief to anyone and should have not posted what I did. I was wrong to have done so especially on this type of board. I'm sorry.

I also react backwards to a lot of meds and gave up trying till i found the right mental health Dr's.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    I posted to your thread because I believe it hits upon a very important factor for people dealing with chronic pain.
    Chronic pain can rob so much of yourself, you dont even know who you are after a while.
    With Chronic pain comes potential depression. The two major causes of depression or 1- Lay offs from your job and 2- Dealing with chronic pain.
    I know that your initiation of this post was good and something we needed to respond to. I think about the things you said in your posts and also from the others who have posted here.
    Its not easy!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • No need to stop posting, just accept that sometimes we don't get it right away. If done in an appropriate manner, confused replys coming from way off base compared to what you wanted opens up all kinds of suggestions and thoughts be people that would otherwise not post them at all!

Keep posting, try and let people know you are looking for an answer that perhaps even you do not know what it will be!

I have adear friend who was treated with AD drugs for many, many, years. They helped him very little, he was obnoxious and hard to deal with. 2 years ago his new shrink aafter 6 months of seeing suddenly exclaimned, "Bertram I do believe you may be bi-polar" Being open minded and disgussted with his current lack of control he accepted her suggestions and started the new med. Within a few months, my ranting and raving, troublemaker extroordinair became "normal" not boring flatlined, but normal to the point you no longer have to wonder what will pop out of his mouth next. There is always and answer, it is often the question that goes unasked!
  • Please dont quit posting. I am always interested in everything I can learn on this place. I have been dealing with pain for only 2 1/2 years(long time for me, shorter than many others) I went on depression meds a year and half ago. Started with cymbalta and am now on effexor. I want to know what has helped others and their experiences. Thats what this place is good at. I have learned and observed so much from so many. I think you have alot to share with us, and I try to respect what eveyone says and has been though. I consider this place, sometimes a sanity saver. I dont know what I would do without it. Have a nice weekend :)
  • I didn't think that I misinterpreted your post.It made me think,and I thought I'd share a little of how it made me think/feel.

I admire and respect you,so even if I disagreed with something you said(which I didn't)..your words would still give me something to think about...because I know that I'm not always right and have a lot to learn.

Open minds take in more information in which to reflect upon,and even the disagreements can stimulate my brain.
  • I went over ten years -- from the time I was 15 until the time I was 27 -- with severe migraines on a weekly basis. When I was having migraines 4x's a WEEK I finally tried the AD drugs. After a couple of false starts I tried Cymbalta and am now down to 1 major headache every 6-8 weeks. This is a LOT more migraines than most people get in a lifetime, but a lot less than I was having before. It's also much better than how my other family members have suffered with this problem by not taking any medications.

Yes, there are side effects to be dealt with, like making sure I don't get too overheated when I'm outdoors in the summer time and the horrible dry mouth issue, but it's overall a lot less of a pain in the butt than spending 4 days a week in so much pain I'm puking.

I'm currently awaiting a consult with my 3rd Neuro in 2 years as they think I may have some kind of neuromuscular problem as well. Chronic pain is exhausting and I think the "Flat" feeling is an adapt description. It reminds me of the way that I feel when I really "push it" during a workout or how I felt when I "Pushed it" back when I played sports; you get to the point where it hurts so bad you have to not care that it hurts just to function.
    I was asking a question. I think the only one who knew it, was the person who answered it. Robin.
    Thank you Robin!
    The question was answered also by the miserable Failure of my trial.
    I went from being optimistic to chewing nails to severely depressed to the angriest person you could ever meet. And the only person that I was fooling was myself.
    So now it's back to the drawing board. And I'm really running out of gas! Keep on keepin on I guess.
    Good luck, Jim
  • Thanks Jim.I was able to quit the antidepressants successfully,but like I mentioned,I still have those times when my pain is bad,or I get a new pain.I don't want to take the AD's because they are an 'everyday' med,and I'm taking so many different types of medications already-so instead of something for stress or anxiety on a daily basis,my Dr prescribed to me ativan.It's fast acting and calms my nerves,anxiety,or panic attacks as I get them,because I don't get these every day.I was taking klonopin,but I didn't like that at all...it made me extremely tired-even in the smallest dose-and afterward I felt hung over.With the ativan I can take it only as needed,or twice daily if I were to need it for days on end.

I didn't have a failed fusion,but I did have foot surgeries that were total failures--and the way you describe what/how you feel..well it sounds normal to me after being let down after you were optimistic earlier on.Even years later I can still get that way sometimes whenever I think about it.It's always worse for me this time of year--I think because I see others going about their 'normal' lives,and it seems to magnify my pain,my problems-doing things that 'they' take for granted.I'm not a bitter or mean person,but it sometimes looks as if I am.
    I wonder if we all have days or times like that.It would be hard not to I would think-especially after dealing with the pain and everything else for so long!
    You'll get your gas tank filled up again(or maybe 1/2 -3/4 full)..what choice do we have really?
    and three steps back. That's the way I feel right now. And I am by no means new to this!
    I was severely depressed when "the rug got pulled out from under me"
    But that was about 6 yrs. ago. And I needed something then. But I can't figure out why, now, I still do. What happened to my brain? And why should I still need something today to be halfway normal?
    I made it all of those many, many years with chronic pain. And didn't need anything then.
    Of course back then I always saw a cure or at least a light at the end of the tunnel.
    Good luck, Jim
  • Yes, by all means keep posting; it was just a misunderstanding on the other person's part and you didn't offend anyone at all. Besides, I have a strong feeling you'd be sorely missed.

I go through episodes of depression where I don't want to do anything, talk to anyone, and have lost interest in things in general so that nothing is enjoyable anymore. I get filled with despair and feel like a waste of space; what good am I when it hurts to do anything? This would run through my mind. Then I would blame myself for the house being messy, if my kids are bored, etc. I would feel like a lousy wife and mother. I do know better but I still would give in to that mentality and dwell in the negativity.

I think Cymbalta has helped me with my mood, as well as help tame the nerve pain some. There have been moments when I want to cry but I feel nothing. Other times I'd cry with the slightest provocation. I guess this is the chronic pain emotional rollercoaster ride most of us are stuck on. We can't get off but we can sure try to make the best of it.
    Thank you for being you.
    Jim O:)
  • It sounds to me like you are doing just fine without antidepressants. You are correct....they can do more harm than good if taken for long periods of time. You are going to come through this just fine. Remember it's our personality that makes who we are....not what we can do. I always enjoy reading your posts and you give good advice. You add a lot to this site. Keep it up my friend.
    Pain does change what we can do but that is all. We are the same person we always were.
    I am still the same fun loving person I always was....I stll laugh and joke with friends and family. I am just not as active as I once was.
    Keep the chin up.
    Patsy W

• Just was thinking about you and was wondering how you were doing?

I started taking Lexapro a few weeks ago and it seems to be
    helping me a lot. I've only taken anti-depressants a few
    times in my life and it was mainly due to PMS. My hormones
    went wacky. I've been off of them for years, since I had a
    hysterectomy 7 years ago and didn't have the hormonal problems I did with the PMS.

I knew I needed to be back on them recently, due to this painful recovery. I, too, am hoping this round of Lexapro will be short-term like the other ones were for me. If it winds up to be long-term, that's okay. Whatever I need to do to keep my spirits up and think positive... I will do.

Hope you're feeling better.

• The cymbalta side effects come and go for me(still)...according to what...I don't know. They all pass if I give it enough time. Side effects for me: disabling depression, insomnia, sexual, cognitive, fatigue. That's a lot to deal with... but cymbalta helps decrease the severity and duration of my worst pain so I'll never stop taking it unless the suicide woes get too much to handle...but hell...the severity of the pain puts me into suicide woes without cymbalta...and cymbalta only does it to me occasionally. it bites but what'reya gonna do? Pick the lesser of the evils and get through it. It's the only choice, for me.

I had forgot to mention I was recently taking testosterone shots. I had no idea that the shots would effect everything else. I had a appointment with my primary care doc. too go over my blood work and told him everything was working opposite of what we expected. And I suffered a "meltdown" so to speak. He said "my God, the levels are way too high" They were way to low before. So he was giving me 2 c.c. every 2 weeks. Now he says that going from way too low to way too high can cause all kinds of different bad reactions for most. And very bad reactions for the few. Naturally, the few is me!
    So now he says get new blood work done in 2 months and no shots till we do some serious review. My P.M. doc. is going to flip out cause he said it was way too much testosterone in the first place.
    I,m going on a much needed vacation! But things are already getting better, just knowing I'm not going crazy! Well, Kind of anyway. lol.
    Good luck, Jim
This discussion has been closed.