Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is surgery my only option

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi folks id like u to take a moment and look at my mri scan on the left. and tell me if it looks like surgery is my only hope. iv been reading all the posts and im amazed by the fact that loads of you seem to get second opins were 1 surgon says yes others say no. iv not had this im english so i dont no if its the same here as the USA. im starting to feel worrid about the op especialy goin in through stomach. so i was just hopeing some 1 could relate to my mri pic and tell me if theres was same and if they tried an ulternative to surgery and what it was and did it work lol thanks tready.

• It sounds like you are in the same position as me in that I too am in England and been recommended Anterior spinal fusion which I am very worried about. I think people can tell you their experience on here, but it is important that your choice comes from the medical evidence and recommendations as we are all different.

I have had 20 years of on and off pain on the L5 S1 due to deterioration. A severe prolapse took it out completely in Nov 07 and I have been in constant, chronic pain since. I have tried the injections and was having a good progress with my osteopath and walking in water, however, it didn't take much for it to go again. After all of that hard work and thinking I had made real progress and looking forward to a surgery free future, I moved a half full bin bag last week and couldn't walk for five days after it.Even my osteo has now told me that surgery is my best option, given the fact that the severe degeneration has now resulted in instability in my spine.

This is only my situation and you will get feedback from other people about their circumstances, but it is very important that you make your own decision, based on your circumstances. People are very supportive on this forum, so you will get some feedback. I have been a nervous reck thinking about the surgery which is due in a couple of weeks, but people on this forum have been great. I have read some things that have made me more afraid though but it is all about remembering we are all different with different circumstances.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.