Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else affected by weather??

precsmmtspprecsmmts Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am just over 5 weeks post-op from my ACDF. I feel really good most days. There are even times that I forget that I have had surgery. (my body usually reminds me when those moments happen)

My question is this: does anyone else notice a marked difference on rainy days? Today, it hasn't rained, but it's been threatening all day. The back of my neck has been soooooo achy today. I've noticed it on other days like this too. Part of me wants to think that it's in my head, but there is no denying that today is not one of my better days.

• Many of us are affected by the weather.I no longer need weatherbug to forecast rain if it's in the next 3-4 days.

Even high humidity causes more pain for me.I stay in my house which is climate controlled and low humidity-drink a lot of water,and I usually get some relief-better than having the humidity in here I mean.

I'm never happy to hear of those bad days..hope you feel better soon.
  • ...just kill me now. I can forcast a storm or front waaay b4 the Weather Channel, etc. Hardware is better than any barometer & damp/cold/rain/low pressure fronts etc affect me now worse than anything else. NS said it's prob from the arthritis in there now (due to the surgeries) + the hardware reacts differently than your body tissues do...

Ice helps, as does gentle massage...but it's just the pits. And you can't change the weather!

As Robin said, it's NOT in your head---it's a real concern now & many days I'm just beside myself as to how to cope.

You certainly have my sympathy/understanding. Maybe we should all move to Arizona!

~Lakeside (Lake Michigan, so beautiful to look @ but no longer my pal....)
  • I live along Lake Michigan, too. It has been a horrendous "Spring" for us. Apparently the pain is caused by the joints, including facet joints, which are self-contained spaces. When there are barometric changes, the effects are felt in the synovial fluid inside all the spinal joints.

I had a lumbar fusion and feel the change in weather very accutely. I assume it is the same for cervical surgeries!
  • for me to worry about :''(

I hope it does not affect me, I do not know yet because it is too soon but who knows, it may. I guess if it does I will accept it.
  • Your explanation is right-on! It is it the facet joint pain that is affected the most & the synovial fluid inside them, as you say, is affected by the barometric pressure, etc.

It was a synovial mass in my right L4/5 facet joint that started all my woes, back in 2006, & now w/ all the other procedures I've had since, the Lake is a huge factor in my comfort or discomfort...

Makes sense, the way you describe it---& accounts for the misery when the humidity/Lake-effect dampness kicks in..

Where along the lake are you? East side or West side?

Probably makes no difference in pain levels, huh~! :) Except that here, when the wind switches NE, ohhhhh! Pure misery! And we have had a terrible winter/spring lately...

• I've been getting slammed by this rainy weather and the pain is unrelenting. I sure hope the suns comes out soon.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Many people are effected by weather changes. Some people could almost predict when rain is coming. Other people start with headaches and other problems when the weather starts to change.
    In addition to temperature and rain/sun changes, many people are also effected by seasons. Those changes might not be as physical as the standard weather changes, but moving from Winter into Spring can easily impact a person's emotional condition.
    Personally, I go into a semi-hibernation during the winter.
    Almost like a squirrel scurrying around gathering nuts to the point of getting into a cave like a bear. When spring rolls around, I get such an emotional change. I start going into high gear, being busy almost all the day light hours. It is probably my bmost active time and also the time period that I generally have the best overall spinal situations. This continues into Summer, slower up a little to enjoy the fruits of spring. A little change happens in Fall until I settle back into my winter mode. During each of these times, I can easily plot the good times, the rough times.

I totally believe in how much changes can impact your physical and emotional state.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Gee, I never thought to blame my problems on the lake!! I'll have to try that! I'm on the west side, but we have property on the east side, too, on the Leelanau Peninsula where we hope to build some day.

How about you? It seems like winter will never end, doesn't it?
  • Thanks so much for your responses everyone! At least I know that I'm not crazy. 8}

I guess now I am just hoping the sunshine comes back soon. Although our weather forecast is calling for chances of rain for the the next 10 days! Uugghh!!
  • Just a note to let you know, it does not take having surgery to turn you back into a barometer.

My back and neck have never been operated on, till Monday when I get my SCS!

I still have had some really horrible pain days related to the weather, mostly T-spine where I fractured 3 endplates. Very, very painful days. Especially the last two...
  • Thunderstorms, tornado watches, make me beyond miserable. I predict the weather better than the weathermen on the news. I decided to test my theory with an accurate device called a Kestrel that measures barometric pressure - whenever the barometric pressure goes above 28.5 lookout. Yesterday, we had thunderstorm and a BP of 29.2. I was a very unhappy person.
  • Thank you, Optimist, I will make a note of that one...I tap the barometer every day & when it falls, I know I'm in for some misery....

Gwennie, we are on the east coast, near north of Milwaukee...and yes, the Lake is a HUGE factor in one's pain..all that water & humidity & the force of the winds off the water, etc...I know now, that unless we move someday to a warmer/dryer climate, that I will "pay" dearly for this magnificent view & lulling sound of the waves..never ever bothered me b4 my surgeries, but man oh man, now....ow!

Yes, thunderstorms, severve weather watches, rain, dampness,fog, yadda yadda...just beyond miserable, as you say, Optimist. BTW: what gives you the most relief? Ironically, ICE helps me...even in the winter.

And Ron, you are right on w/ your observations about the changing seasons...perhaps it has to do w/ the increasing daylight in the spring/summer & the lack of it in the fall/winter...& now w/ our physical challenges, we notice those things more...pain makes a person more "primal" I think: when you are in constant pain, you are distracted all the time (even at low levels) but your instincts are heightened towards more autonomic areas, as would affect an animal (hibernation, vs activity, etc.) Sounds nuts, maybe, but my reactions to almost all things are more visceral now, after all this back stuff....loud noises, bright lights, sudden changes just un-nerve me, like my whole Central Nervous System is just shot...which may be the case, as my NS said...!

Rambling..long day, tired out, just tapped the barometer & it;s gong down....ugh!!

Thanks for listening!