Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise and Time off work following surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi there, I could do with a bit of advice. I had my 2nd lot of surgery 2nd April L5 S1 disc prolapsed disc, up to now I feel ok and the wound is healing ok. Its been a shambles from the beginning to end to tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure what they have done as I wasnt informed I had the op then I was home the following day, I'm concerned I may have the degenerative disc disease as the first letter I had relating to my first op L4 lumbar discectomy bacin 2006 stated that my discs had crumbled. With these types of operations how much time should I take off from work, I work in an office and have to sit for around 5 hours on the phones on a call centre only being allowed 10 mins really to get up and take a brief walk to get a drink (rubbish innit?) the physio girls at the hospital told me approx 6-8 weeks. Also can anyone tell me how soon exercise such as gentle swimming can be resumed if I feel ok? Be greatly appreciated if you can give me any advice at all? - thanks Fi

• Hi Fi,

Good to hear from you! My doctor wants me to take off 6 weeks since I had to have a redo microdiscectomy. I assume at my 6 week postOp visit that my doctor will release me to do physical therapy. I have been in physical therapy, and the therapist wanted me to work with him before releasing me to do exercises at the gym.

I was told that I could sit 30-45 min. by my doc, but my physical therapist said only 15-20. Even if you have to sit for 45 min. she said to get up for 30 sec. and walk around. I don't know when my sitting restriction will be lifted, but I'll ask at my next visit.

Hope this helps.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,845
    There are guidelines, but because there are so many different variables involved with this, anything providing by our members here is a guestimate based on their own personal experiences.
    The Degenerative Disc Disease is probably the most mis-understood spinal term. The words degenerative and disease
    have a bad sound. DDD is really the aging of our spines. Almost everyone will show some level of DDD by the time they are 30.
    Others can have it sooner or more pronounced because of Trauma, Prior surgery, or Genetic situations. DDD can be treated with an approved exercise program and NSAIDs. Only the more severe cases require surgical procedures.

Time before going bakc to work...(my own timeline)
    In 1978, L4/L5 surgery - 6 months
    In 1985 L5/S1 surgery - 3 months
    In 1995 C5/C6 ACDF - 10 weeks
    In 2000 C6/C7 ACDF - 15 weeks

Besides the normal variations (how a person generally heals, the length of the surgical procedure and what kind
    of job a person does makes the difference.

After 7 Spinal Surgeries and normally a one hour commute( each way), 8-10 hours on the computer daily, the company I worked for decided it was best for them and me, for me to work at home. I have been doing that 100% since 2000
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com