Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am a 39 year old mother of 3 ages 19,16 and 3.
I had a L4 L5 disectomy on February 2007 (10 days before my wedding:( I ended up having my second one in May of 2007. I have learned to deal with and live with back pain. I recently started having pain that did not go away and then moved to my buttocks and hip. I know where this is going and since my first episode I let go untreated for too long and was always asked why didn't you do something sooner? I now know why. I went to my doctor and she ordered an Mri. She told me that my disc looks better and that I may have some degenerative issue going on. She has referred me to a physiatry doctor. I did some reading and it seems to me this is a physical therapist. I have been to physical therapy several times, I had tried the steroids and injections and nothing worked. Not to mention I have to wait 2 weeks for my appointment. Are you kidding me? I am in pain and I need help! I am so crabby I cannot stand myself. What is wrong with me???? :''(
Please help me....


  • That's rough you're having backpain. I hope you're Dr refers you to a NeuroSurgeon but maybe the Physiatrist can refer you also. I hope they can get your pain under control. Are you on any nerve pain meds? If you're having unbearable pain call your Dr. again and maybe she can help until you see the Specialist. I had to go to ER orginally for pain meds because my Dr was on holidays. I think the Dr. should be responsible for pain control while under their care. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you sound realy down and fed up hun, pain is awfull evan more so with a 3 year old running around , i had a 14 year gap with my last child, i sware having her did my back in ! it all started after giving birth :> anyway ,im sending hugs to you coz i cant do any thing else >:D< , i dont know where you are im in uk, but your welcome to pm me for a chat any time :)
  • Most back and spine problems cause a great deal of pain but are not life-threatening. Generally speaking, there are two ways to deal with them: there is conservative treatment and a surgical procedure of some sort. Most people will tell you that surgery is always a last resort.

    A physiatrist often uses the services of a physical therapist, but the specialty is much more complex than that. Physiatry is another name for rehabilitation and physical medicine. It is a specialty that includes four years of medical school and then a four year residency, and they specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and pain syndromes. They try to do everything to get a person back on her feet short of surgery. If surgery is required, they would refer the patient to an appropriate spinal surgeon.

    Since you have had two discectomies, it is likely that you are having additional problems with that disk, or an adjacent one. Can you see the surgeon that did your discectomies? Otherwise, I would make an appointment with a spinal specialist, either an orthopedic spinal specialist or a neurosurgeon and proceed from there.

    In the meantime, you can take a NSAID to reduce inflammation and use ice on your lower back. Try to avoid any activities that involve bending, twisting or reaching, particularly overhead. Avoid anything that will jar your spine or riding on rough (bumpy) roads, and do not lift, carry or push anything heavy. If you cannot tolerate the pain, call your doctor for stronger pain meds.

    Please let us know how you're doing and post with your comments and questions...and, again, welcome to the board.

    xx Gwennie
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.