Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-5,5-6 ACDF in 3.5 hours!-

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi!

I just discovered this site about an hour ago. I'm having this surgery this morning. I'm supposed to arrive at the hospital at 5:30AM.

Actually, I've had mostly radicular pain, numbness, tingling, and weakness... My neck was just very stiff for a long time -- but finally after much suggestive questioning by my surgeon (or maybe it's just getting that way on its own?), I finally have neck pain also.

I've been a little more nervous for this surgery -- spine and anesthesia concerns. So, I've spent the last 2+ hours revisiting some educational sites (animated surgeries +)It feels better to have a good handle on the source(s) of the problem, treatment and recovery etc.

I want to thank all of you who have posted to this site. I'm feeling a lot more at ease than I was just an hour ago.

Thanks for the post on the Aspen collar! I think that they gave me one that is too tall! Or my neck is too short. I was supposed to wear it every day at the beginning of this "saga" and it ended up creating pain where I did not have it before. So, I stopped. I plan to take it with me to the hospital and ask the pre-op folks about it.

I also thought about asking my surgeon to just add a little more space between my vertebrae -- a little more allo/autograft material? a little more space by strategic placement of the "instrumentation": I could use 1/2"-1" more in height! It seems plausible enough, doesn't it? ;) Well, at the very least, maybe an orthopedic plastic surgeon person could consider it, if it is not something that gets done. Who knows? Never hurts to ask.

Well, now that I have taken up plenty too much of everyone's time, I'll promise to check in on Sunday or so to see how everyone is doing. And to check for some more helpful hints! Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• I hope that you have an uncomplicated surgery with great success. Glad you found the site...it has been extremely helpful to me as well. Come back and let us know how things go for you and how you are recovering. Welcome to Spine Health!
    ouch
  • Hi Suzanne,

I am in the UK and not sure of the time differences, you have probably had the surgery by now.

Wishing for a fantastic and speedy recovery, looking forward to hearing how you are when you are ready.

Scully
  • I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hope everything went well today. Good luck.
  • ok I need more sleep! lol I meant an uncomplicated surgery. I am a maternity nurse wanting to go back to work ...I guess it shows! lol Take care and keep in touch suzanne
    ouch
  • Hi Suzanne,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Looks like you did your homework for the surgery. I hope all has gone well today and you are feeling somewhat relieved to have all this behind you now. Look forward to reading your post when you return. Most importantly now follow the surgeons directions. You trusted him enough to do surgery, so follow his or hers plan for the recovery. I have seen many members come and go from here who have done quit well. Just remember every surgery is different and varying degrees of recovery. Measures your success by the week not day. Minor set backs are to be expected so don't let them get you down. Anyway welcome to spine health.
  • Inquiring minds (mine anyway) want to know.....are you now taller? :D Probably not, but being vertically challenged myself, would like to know in case I have surgery again! Hope you are well.......
    Maggie
advertisement