Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TLIF 4 weeks post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
#o I really don't know where to start because I do not want to dissuade anyone from doing what is best for them, but I can sum this surgery up with just one word "horrible". I have never in my life been in so much pain. Right after surgery, fine, no problem, 2 weeks, fine no problem, now into week 3 and 4. The most horrible pain I have ever had. My right foot is hypersensitive and my leg is numb and very painful. I cry at night my leg is so painful. Doc says nerve pain, give it time. Ok, how much time? I'm on neurontin 3xtimes a day. Thank goodness for my family doc, if it gets too bad he will give my a powerful shot. Boy, I did not mind that shot at all.I have not slept in over 2 weeks even with the sleep aid Rozerm every night. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone having any suggestions? I would most appreciate any help at all. I also have this huge back brace I have to wear except to bed.

• Hi there, bless your heart! Are you taking anything for pain? Neurontin and Rozerm isn't enough to make it through the healing process. I didn't have a TLIF, but I had an anterior and then 6 mos. later had the PLIF. To have had them both at the same time...ouch! Every movement, sitting down or anything would pull on both incisions. I had oxycotin for 30 days after the first surgery and only Lortab 10's for the 2nd one. The Oxy really took all the pain away and I did okay. The Lortab's aren't quite the same, but dulled my back incision enough that I could scoot around. First thing in the morning, I'd remember being so stiff and hurting that I had to get out of bed right then and walk around. I walked around and around the house. I also would wake up sometimes in the night after the pain meds had worn off and have to take something to get back to sleep.

It's all painful for sure! Maybe someone that's had the TLIF can join in and give you more of their experience. Good luck and hope you don't suffer much longer before it starts getting better. Are you incisions looking okay? Not red or warm or puffy? If you continue to have horrible pain, I would call the dr. back and insist on some tests to make sure things are like they should be. With your feet and legs hurting so much.....sounds like a screw could have moved? Hope not, but something sounds out of whack! From my anterior surgery, my left leg didn't work properly. I couldn't use it as well, weak, tingled and stuff. It finally came back almost 100% after PT and 8 weeks postop.

• I am on Talwin NX for pain. I have not had a day pain free in over 2 weeks. I catch myself getting very emotional and wondering if having this surgery was the right thing. Everone tells me it will be worth it when the healing process is over. My doc has ordered an MRI and CT of lumbar spine next week. He called out of the clear blue and said he was looking back on my charts and surgery procedure and that he would feel better if I have these tests done. He is not much on pain meds, but my primary doc is helping me the most. THank god for him. My incision is from my butt crack up to between my shoulder blades. It looks really good. As far as back pain goes,it hasn't been bad. Its just the hip, leg and foot pain that is so bad. Will it ever end?
  • Ihad a 2 level PLIF in Dec of last year. I have had alot of pain, and now 4 1/2 months later, it is starting to get better. Keep in touch with your Dr,but just remember it is a long road of recovery. I wish you luck in controling your pain.
  • I had it 22 days ago. When for my 3 week post op. Am having some pain in my legs but surgeon said it is a normal healing process after being all pinches up for so long. Hang in there. Hopefully things will get better for you. Remember that patience is the key.

• I had mine 11 months ago and once the incision pain went away, the presurgical pain came back. This wasn't the first time- the same thing happened with a prior microdiscectomy of L4-S1 and one month later I suffered a recurrent herniation. It does take a long time for the nerve to heal, sometimes up to 2 years according to my neurosurgeon. Til then you may have nerve pain and they hope it will gradually go away in time. Medicines like Neurontin, Lyrica, and Cymbalta are good for this type of pain. Remember, nerves are very sensitive and they get inflamed and swollen after being messed with during surgery.