Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoulder Pain?

Serenity6SSerenity6 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Please help! :D

Lately my neck has been doing much better since my third epidural injection.

Yesterday my shoulder started bothering me. I cannot lift my arm passed my shoulder. It feels a little tender and is weak if I put weight on it.

My neck has been doing much better, but why the shoulder problem. Has anyone of you had this problem? If so, can you give me some insight as to what it might be? Do you think I should contact my doctor?

I have done a little research on this type of shoulder pain and the only thing that is close to this is a roter cuff tear. I have not done anything to cuase such a thing. Could it be my neck causing it? I honestly feel as if it is in the muscle!

I am somewhat confused! :? I have been doing so much better!

• Hi serenity,

Yes many neck suffers have shoulder pain. It could be coming from your neck it is called referred pain or radiculopathy. Depending on the level in your neck you are having issues with will depend on where the radiculopathy travels. If you look in the video section here you will find a video on cervical radiculopathy. Just search in the search feature at the top of the page. You should make your doctor aware of this. When did the pain develope not long after your last epidural? Another thing you may want to look at is the dermatone mapping. I'm glad your neck pain is subsiding. A MRI will clearly show if it is coming from your shoulder. Have you had a emg study? Those can also tell if it is nerve related and the pathways it is coming from. Although the emg can have false readings as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • After I posted this topic my neck began to bother me some. I can say that the pain is not at its worst.

My shoulder seems to be a little better, but my arm seems to be really sore. I go back to see my Chiropractor/Physical Therapist today. I will let him know what is going on.

I have never had a emg done. The neurologist says that there is nothing he can do for me at this point but the Epidural injectons. He said I would eventually have to have surgery but not at this point. I wish he could feel what I feel. Then he would understand.
  • Serenity,

Good luck at the therapist today. It sounds as though your neurologist is following the conservative line of treatment. They can only do so many epidural injections. I'm not a doctor so I couldn't give you a number. I'm not sure if how you originally injured your neck or if you just woke up and it was there? I had both going a neck injury and a should injury. I was originally injured in a MVA. Overtime my shoulder progressively worsened from the therapy after the neck injury and finally developed into frozen shoulder. Once the shoulder was fixed the pain was still there but different. Another test revealed a instability issue in my neck which lead to more surgery. That surgery got rid of the pain that would lock me up. However since there is permanent nerve damage to the arm it will never go away completely.

I was wondering if you have considered getting a second opinion. I'm not saying surgery is the answer. There are so many other forms of conservative treatment that you may benefit from as well. Have they considered putting a block or steriod in your shoulder to see what that may do? Let us know what the therapist thinks today.