Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

XLIF - Later Lumbar Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hello Everyone,

First time to a forum and first time to post. I'm having lateral lumber surgery (L4/L5) this Tuesday, May 5th. Naturally, I'm nervous as I've never had surgery before. I've heard this is a less invasive approach than other methods. Still, the thought of a four hour procedure and being put out for that long has me worried. I've had severe lower back, hip and left leg pain for about a year now. Anyone out there who has had this procedure. What was your experience? Did it relieve your pain? Post-operative condition? Did it help?

Thanks in advance.

• Welcome to the board. Sorry for the reason you are here. You will find many people who have had this surgery. If you run a search for XLIF you will come up with a number of threads where you can read about others' experiences.

I had a slightly different procedure, a PLIF at L4-5. Your procedure is supposed to be a bit easier to recover from, but it is still a BIG surgery and it will take some time to recover (probably longer than what your surgeon tells you!!)

Here is a link that explains the procedure better than I can:

I will let others who have had the XLIF try to answer your other questions.

Good luck to you.
  • I am 3 weeks post op on a surgery similar to what you are going to have. I had a lot of pain in my buttocks and down my legs. It is better but not gone. I have hopes that as everything has a chance to heal it will get better. I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. So if you have any questions, PM me and I will share what I know. Lots of luck

• Thanks all for your kind responses. Will let you know the outcome. Stay in touch and let me how you are doing. I will do the same.