Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
My Mom has had neck problems for years. Her neck is so bad, it is changing the shape of her face according to her doctor. She is only 57. Being Self Employed with a Small business, she did not have health insurance. The bone in her foot broke for no reason and now her back is the problem. She has a buldging disc and one that is dried up. It has caused her so much pain for the past three weeks straight. She can only lay flat on her back. The disc has been hitting a nerve, causing her leg pain. My Mom is use to being in pain but this is leaving her feeling hopeless. They did an MRI but she needs surgery. She is on the strongest pain medicine but yet it isn't fazing it. She has no insurance. We live in Texas. I don't know what to do for her but it is breaking my heart to see her in so much pain. She needs surgery but she needs help to pay for it. I have heard of a make-shift traction, but she says she can't even lift her head to take a drink of water. I am at a loss as to how to help her. Any information would be appreciated so much. She is tired of taking pain pills. She just wants God to help ease the pain. Please advice anyone?


  • I feel so bad for your mom....I understand how much pain she has and how she feels. I'm sorry you have to see her suffer so, it is so hard to feel so helpless. My mom didn't have health insurance when she fell ill at age 56 and it was so hard for us to find help for her but she was so sick the hospital finally had to take care of her. She had medical bills out of this world but they had to treat her.
    Then a Dr. that did the emergency surgery took her as his patient from then on.

    But with your mom and her back I can understand you don't want to just get any treatment from just any Dr. I'm 54 and have been in her shoes with the pain and hopelessness to find relief and help. Maybe you can find a hospital that can help her. Is there a medical school/hospital nearby that might have a program to help or if you take her to emergency they might have s dr. on call that might help. Where do you live in Texas?

    I'll be thinking of you and your mom. Let us know how she is doing.

  • I understand how frustrating and unsettleing this can be. Have you checked with social security for disability or help for her? how about local human services. I knw I am not much help, but maybe the hospital or Dr can direct you to some programs for people without insurance. I also think maybe a university that teaches medicine may be an alternative as well. Good Luck. I am sorry I cant be of more help.
  • Brandi,
    First of all I am so sorry for what your mom is going thru, bless her heart. You live in Texas, there are lots of University Hospitals in your area. You need to contact some if this Hospitals and explain your Mom's situation, try to speak to a Social Worker or something like that at the Hospital. Most teaching hospital have clinic's for people with no insurance or underinsure were they get treatment, surgery, etc. for free or almost at no cost so the University can train all of their future Doctor's. University Hospitals give great service and state of the art treatment, so that is another avenue that you need to explore for your Mom. I wish you luck, and God Bless.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.