Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headache Since 10/2008

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I've been having these headaches for 12-13 years. They would come and go starting out with severe neck pain, down my right shoulder and mostly up the right side of my head to my forhead causing severe pain. Then it would eventually go away. I had to stay medicated (otc) during this time. Eventually they would go away.

Finally went to a neurologist 1 1/2 ago, had ex-rays and an mri. Was diagnosed with migraines. Meds seemed to work until last October. Went back to neuro did an mri of my neck when they found a bulging disc between C5-6. Then did 2 1/2 months of PT without any change. The only slight relief I get is from traction (I have a traction unit in the mail to me now) but the headache is so severe at times I want to scream. (my husband and kids say I'm mean now!) I take at least 4 Excedrin migraine tabs per day (all at once)and by 3-4 pm the pain comes back. If I go back to the neuro she will want me to have epidural injections in my neck and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

All the forums here and other sites on the internet don't seen to have anyone with headaches from C5-6 disc bulge.

Currently I have no dr appt and am considering acupuncture? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx, Lynne

• I have two herniated disks on the c4,c5,c6 area in my neck.
    I get a shooting pain from the back of my head to the top of my head. I was told it's because the nerve is pinched and inflamed. I had epidural shots that did not help. They do help a lot of people and they're not bad at all. I now have to go for neck surgery. If I were you, I'd try the shots. They did wonders for my mother but were not successful on me. Some people only need one shot. I went for all three, but most get relief from one. I wish you luck.

• I have a herniated disc at c5/c6 and c6/c7, among other things. It isn't too big 2 to 3 mm , not enough for surgery.
    Anyhow like you I have headaches or pressure pains in certain areas of my head.
    When I got depressed from this the pain was far worse and the headaches were too.
    Anyhow I get left sided neck, shoulder and arm pain. And the head pain comes up from behind my left ear up along the left side of my head near my temple where it settles on the top of my head above my left eye. Sometimes Ive had pain in the sinus areas or the bottom of the head where the neck meets.

I find nowadays my head hurts depending on the position of my neck/head and how bad the nerve or whatever is in pain. Laying down sometimes creates a pressure pain on the left top of my head. Sometimes I get a killer forehead headache that last for days.

My doctor says he can't diagnose it as migraine because I dont have a lot of the migraine symptoms like nausea and what not. He thinks of them more as tension or cervical headaches.

What prescription medicines have you tried?

For tension/migraine my doc has given me Fiorinal 3 with codiene, midrin, darvocet, tylenol 3, fiorcet with codiene.

Right now I'm on tylenol 3 and fiorinal 3 minus aspirin, which is replaced by tylenol, and minus caffeine, because I have MVP and caffeine gives me too many palpatations if I have too much... So I have a specially compound made for me at this one pharmacy.
    my doc has recommended Excedrin as well in the past. It does work , well the migraine one.

If you haven't tried any of the above, and can I would ask your doc about them. They aren't the harder narcotics but they work most of the time for me.

I would also get a neck heating pad or an ice pack. Walgreens website has a good one. And a tempurpedic swedish neck pillow or any firm low neck memory foam pillows... That helps me too.

• I had daily migraines from my herniate C5-C6. I'm 8 weeks post op and now I'm getting the migraines about once a week. What a huge difference! I take Maxalt and it works very well upon onset of the migraine. Ice packs on top of the head and back of the neck helps too.
  • I get headaches and I have bulging disc at 4, 5, 6, 7, and T1. I kept a headache for a month straight and it was horrible. The epidural injections did not help mine, but I know people that it has helped.

If I were you I would try them to see if they will help you. I would recommend that you have at least two injections before determining if they help.

I wish you the best of luck and I pray that god takes your headaches away. I know that they can be horrible!
  • For all the replys, I thought I was all alone out there.

Medications my neuro prescribed besides the migraine meds were three different muscle relaxers, that just make me loopy. Then something called nortriptyline (generic for pamelor) that is an old anti depressent medication. I would take 1 a night then 2 the next, then 3 up to 5 per night. But one of the side effects is weight gain and since I haven't been able to run (except 1 time)yet this year since it's been too cold I don't want to take them. I may try them once the weather gets better but the short time I took them (over the winter) I didn't get any relief.

Recently the pain has become so debilitating that I'm exhausted by 8pm and my quality of life is gone. Although I don't work anymore (quit my pt time job a year ago) I have two kids 12 and 11 with full sports, school ect. schedules.
    The depression sometimes is unbearable all I wanna do is crawl in a hole and die! I am glad I found this website!

Nicole and Butterfly Pain, I too find ice packs work wonders. I can't wait till my traction machine gets here so I can use both together. Otherwise I see those injections in my future with just one concern if the injections numb the pain in my neck what about the headache? Does it help or no? I guess I wouldn't know unless I try it?!

Thanx again for helping and letting me vent!