Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Troubles,, Please any opinions would be appreciated

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
heres where i am,, i had diskectomy on L3-L5 first surgery
fused L5-S1 second surgery,, opened fusion back up and hardware came apart and cage almost came out 3rd surgery,, now the hardware has come apart again in less than 6 months,,,

i have had at least 10 injections and 2 RF nerve burns, 2 diskograms, a mylogram,

now what can i do about this,,, they told me they could go in and fix it,, but would only give me a 50-50 chance of a better or worst outcome,, offered me a morphine pump,, or a electric pain stimulator,, besides that i just dont know about all this,,,

i have paid out of pocket 20% for all of this,, im in the neighborhood of between 9-12000.00 dollars and still havent got any help,, having to sell off everything i worked years to get.. its really depressing

i just dont know where to go from here and scared to let anyone touch me anymore

• on the 3rd surgery it was suppose to be a 2.5 hour surgery and turned into a 6 hour thing trying to but humpty dumpty back together,,
  • i see this is only your second post and i want to welcome you to the forum. :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it sounds like you need some love and support for awhile! :X three surgeries is very disappointing for you.. ~X( please stick around and gather some information on the pumps. we have several people on both.. :D good luck and i do hope you find pain relief soon. Jenny :)
  • If you own your own home you can try for debt consuladation with a broker or if your company has a Credit Union you can find info on consoladating for one low payment a month. I think that both SCS and Morphine pump will help if you can get started on that you may be able to help get some of the debt paid off. It's rough you're in that situation. I hope you can find the support you need here. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I would certainly suggest a 2nd and 3rd different opinions from different os and ns. Then I would contact an attorney as to what can be done about the hardware falling apart.
  • not wanting any more intervention..you poor thing! if it was me in the same position i would go for the least invasive procedure .the morphine pump it would be .as for scs i have heard mixed views on them and they are far from a solution a friend of mine hates hers and carnt wait to have it removed and another person i know uses it so much that a 10 year battery last 18 months!! and dont forget every time you need a new power supply you need another operation! .as for litigation i carnt offer any advice there as i am from the UK and its not the done thing.{yet!}i wish you all the luck and hope that you can get some thing done ASAP
  • Well thanks for having me,, its been a tough road for sure, i just dont know where to go from here, i'm at a loss for words,,

charry as far as debt ,, i really dont have much at all, i always bought most things. the biggest problem is i have to keep sell stuff to keep paying for this.

im in terrible pain and i got 2 good nuerosurgeons, one in which is a PM doc also. which helps, idont know about the litigation part but this is what he said." some ppls bodies like rejects it and its a race to get it set in and fusing before the body starts trying to push it out" he said it just happens to some ppl. I dont know but im get really tired of this. you know how these spiney problems is,, it wears you down and kicks you while your down.

i appreciate ya'll chatting with me and taking the time to read my story
  • Ghost,
    The hardward backing out is not your body pushing it out, it sounds more like there was some fault on the surgeon's part that installed it. He may not have used the right size cage and screws or drilled the holes too big for the screw size. Can I ask a question? Did your same surgeon do both of the surgeries? If so, you may want to look into some litigation attornies, however you need one that is also one who knows something about manufacturing processes in the spine industry.
    There are tons of problems with some of the products put in , and medtronic is notorious for it's recalls in leads, wires and units for heart patients, so it is not unheard of.
  • This is why I fear having back surgery!!

What you are going through is what I fear!!!!!!!!!

I have been 4 months now on my back injury. I'm taking Norco 6 X a day . 2q 8 hrs.
    pain is bad in the morning and tolerable in the day.
    No sleep 4-5 days a week!!
    My company insurance carrier thinks I'm ready to go back to work. I can't take out the gargage without suffering for the rest of the day. Never been injured in my life like this.
    God bless my wife for putting up with me!!!!!!!!
    herniated disk at L4-5 Arthritis at L4-5 joint.
    5 mm disk bulge to the anterior rt.vert. body with rt. leg sciatica.

Does anyone think surgery is the way to go or should I give it more time?

Here are my MRI 's

Let me know what you think.

• I can appreciate you saying you have good Drs, BUT, I think that you should get an opinion by someone that has not be involved with the process. I think at this point, I would rethink having another surgery with Drs that havnt has success in two surgeries. You dont want to have more problems. If the next opinion says the same thing, then ok, but I havnt heard many that have that much trouble that quickly. I also would contact an attorney, something isnt right. Just my humble opinion.
This discussion has been closed.