Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is numbness normal?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since my L5-S1 TLIF. I am doing pretty good, completely off pain meds except 2 Tylenol PMs at bedtime. I am walking about 4 miles a day. I was feeling the area around my incisions yesterday (it was MISS and there a 2 incisions, one on each side of the spine), well..it is completely numb right in the center. No tingling or pins and needles, just no feeling. I can run my nail down my back and the feeling goes away as soon as it gets to that area. Is this normal or should I call the Dr. office tomorrow? I don't remember reading anything about this. It makes me a little worried.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi Christine,
    From my experience with quite a few surgeries in the past it is totally normal.
    Just because of scar tissue alone the nerves retreat in that area. After time you will notice that some feeling does return to that area but it may never completely return. I've gotten used to it and don't give it a second thought
    Take care,

• I too have had quite a few surgeries, I am surprised to realize I have lost count...(how did I get here?)

I too concur that yes this is completely normal. especially when having two incisions spaced like that.
    What has happened is the nerves running to that area of ths skin got severed in the surgery. Nothing much that can be done to prevent these things as the nerves to the skin are very tiny and it would probably be impossible to avoid this. usually over time some sensation will return to that area. Often it is incomplete and different, sometimes it does not return. I have these spots here and there, ranging from the back of a hand to the surface of my knee, back of one arm, etc.

Please, do discuss it with your surgeon to be sure. Sometimes the numb spot can be a blessing in disguise. sometimes not.

Hope this helps,