Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update and question

sacramentassacramenta Posts: 16
Well, I went to the doctor and he kind of had an odd attitude. He was sort of like...well, even if the sciatica is being caused by a disc problem there is really nothing you can do except take Advil until it heals.
I explained how I can not tolerate it when it is day after day of excruciating pain. He said there is not really much you can do for it. I have had this doctor as my primary HMO doctor for 5 years and he only has seen me at the most 4 times. It is not like I am this chronic complainer yet he made me feel like I was over exaggerating.
The good news is, is he said he would order me an MRI. So I am going Wednesday. Here is my question. The last 2 weeks before I went to the doctors I was in a lot of pain. By today it is not so bad. When I go Wednesday will it show what is causing the nerve to be compressed? I am wondering with the certain disk conditions if they always show. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Yes, in almost all cases, the MRI will pick up what is the cause of your sciatic pain. It is usually a bulging or herniated disk, stenosis or something else that is pressing on a nerve, causing it to be compressed (pinched).

There are other conditions that can cause sciatic pain. But if it is caused by something in your spine, it will show up on the MRI.

As I am sure you guessed, you are not getting good advice from your primary doctor. Some very mild sciatic pain can go away but in other cases, the cause of the pain will not heal on its own.
  • Yeah..I kind of felt like he did not realize how much pain I am having and that the episodes are now rolling into one after the other. I had researched some of the options and see that there are medications, injections, physical therapy etc. A million things that can relieve the pain!
    The fact that he did not even consider sending me to a orthopedic doctor or trying some of these himself was very frustrating because I thought I was finally at the appointment and would have something to help the next time it flares up which seems is anytime now as my pattern is going. Thanks again for the other MRI info. I thought with my luck they would say all is fine just because it has settled down.
  • As Gwennie stated, your PCP is not giving you the best advice. I'm glad you're having an MRI. What were the findings?
  • The MRI is a smart choice.
advertisement