Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Weeks Post ACDF Today

precsmmtspprecsmmts Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone...

Well, today I am officially 6 weeks post op. Overall, my recovery has been easier than I expected. I am back to driving and most other activities within reason of course. My incision looks like a jagged red line, but isn't bad at all. With the rainy weather we've been having, I've been really achy.

On Wednesday I will have my 2nd post-op appointment. I will have new xrays and hopefully be released back to work.

I am concerned about work because I still don't seem to have my energy level back. I get so tired after doing anything at all. I am a 3rd grade teacher so when I go back I have to be on my game. I don't do a lot of sitting at work as you might imagine. I am going to ask the NS's opinion and also ask about possible returning with 1/2 days at first. In that way, I can get a nap if necessary in the afternoons. ;o)

Anyway, overall, I think I am a success story so far. Just thought I'd share!

Tina
advertisement

Comments

• I feel great! I have not taken a single pill in 6 days, was cleared to return to work last Wednesday but decided to use the time my company gave me for free, Took my three year old fishing on Friday, have been doing things around the house that have been on the back burner, and have been exercising with resistance bands for three days now (As per my surgeon). I have felt better each day since surgery. My surgeon has instructed me to start to return to normal activities over the next few weeks including road cycling. He actually told me I have NO lifting restrictions and just to lift smart.

Hey Tina, Walk Walk and Walk more. I have been walking a ton and even a little light jogging over the past few days and I have not lost a drop of post surgery energy. I do understand this thing hits people different, but I must have dodged every bullet!

I am pretty happy you are doing good! Keep it up! We need to start flooding these forums with success stories.

BTW, My wife was a third grade teacher a few years ago before my little one was borne. Good luck with that! 30 of those monsters can be a handfull!
  • I know what it is like to teach little ones. I taught 3rd grade for 4 years and the minute you sit down, it is like a signal for the kiddos walk up to you. ;)

Yes, you won't be doing a lot of sitting. While I had a lesser degree of surgeries than you, I don't know if I could make it full time. I am almost 5 weeks postoP. from my 2nd microD.

If I could go part-time, I would jump at it. I miss my kids and won't be finishing the this year with them. I can't even visit them because my visit would upset them (according to the sub.) And I believe it.

I bet you miss you kids; they miss you too!
  • NJ - Thanks! I have been walking, but not as consistently as I probably should. The weather here has been really crappy lately. :< Good for you that you are feeling so great! Your surgeon is really lax with your limitations. Wow! I can't believe that you don't even have any lifting restrictions.

Lovinggardener - The more I think about it, a week of 1/2 days is sounding better and better. Especially as I sit here yawning! I)
  • Happy to hear that you are doing well. Keep up the good work. I am 5 wks post op today & feeling pretty good. I get my x-rays & (hopefully) my collar off next Tuesday.
  • Thanks so much for your post. I am so scared, yet can't wait to have this done. I pray it's successful because I want to teach. I've been told that my job is stressful and do I really need to have this surgery from from friends and family. I know they care about me but I have perminent nerve damage and everything has failed so they are saying that I do need the surgery and that I should have had it three years ago.

I wish you all a speedy recovery so you can be at the top of your game when you return to your classroom. It is possible to teach after surgery and you have given me that hope.
    Cindy
  • i had acdf c4-6 on nov 13/09 had plans to stay off work till end of may. but when i started working out at 8-10 weeks i started to get my energy back. since i am a mailman i was a little worried to go back so soon. but on march 2nd i went back to work. my muscles in my legs hurt the worst for about a month, since i didnt carry any weight for almost 4 months. now im back into my normal routine. docs gave me a 35 lb limit so i dont push it. otherwise i feel great! depending on the weather i still get a little achy but nothing big. i work out daily for at least 20 minutes just to loosen up for the day. so just do what your body tells you. for me sitting was worse. the back of my head and neck would hurt when i sat too long. so moving was better.
  • Joanne...Glad to hear that you are doing well. And I know you will be so glad to get your collar off! I got to see xrays at 2 weeks, and I get more tomorrow. Hopefully I will see some sort of change. :o)

Cindy...I have no doubt that teaching can be done after surgery. I'm sure once I get back to work, things will fall into place. I just have to keep the kiddos from staring at my scar!

Kat...Glad to hear that you are healing well too! I have been really uncomfortable the last week or so. I'm blaming it on the lousy weather and am hoping I'm right. I am achy all the time! Good luck when you go back to work, and I think your doctor is right - listen to your body!

Cliffy...I hope you're right about moving around. I'm sure I will be so busy that I will forget that I'm in pain. I just hope I don't suffer too much when I get home each night.

Off to the doctor tomorrow. I'm excited to see my xrays again. Is it sick to want to see the hardware?? LOL

Take care everyone!
    Tina
  • I went for my 6 week post-op this morning. The doctor said the xrays look good. The little teeth on the bone plug have started to fuse a tiny bit with my bone. Woo hoo! She has released me to work 1/2 days for 1-2 weeks, which is really good. I still have a bending, lifting, and twisting restriction up to 25 pounds. She is also sending me to PT for 4-6 weeks since I have so much achiness in my neck and shoulder. Hopefully that will help.

It sounds like my life is going to take another step toward becoming normal again! =D>
  • I'm so happy for you! I just can't wait to be able to drive so I don't have to depend on other people. I live alone & don't know many people where I am so it sucks! I've had 5 PT sessions & I think they are helping. I get a bit sore at times but they are really giving my muscles a work over! I am able to do more things myself without aggravating my muscles & suffering for it later. Moist heat is my best friend. I'm hoping to be cleared to go back to work on May 25...fingers crossed! Be careful & let us know how your return to work goes. Take care.
advertisement