Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP!!! Doctor

Cindyx3CCindyx3 Posts: 144
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I have a problem, I went to one doctor in a neuro group and I am being told by another doctor that he is good. I then went to my regular doctor and he told me that another doctor is better in the neuro group I went to. What do I do?

My problem is that I did like the neuro doctor I saw but a few people are telling me that another doctor in the same neuro group is better? This is major surgery and I'm scared, what would you do if you were me?

Oh yeah and the other thing is these doctors only take major medical and I don't know if I'm covered? The doctors assistant is suppose to let me know. I do know I want the best taking care of me, yet is the doctors are in the same group is it rude to ask for a second opinion from a doctor in the same group???

Any help is appreciated. I did schedule my surgery with the first neuro I saw but I'm being told that the other neuro doctor in the same group is better. Then again, people are telling me all the doctors in the group are good. What would you do?

• I see a few mistakes and something doesn't make sense to me and I wrote that. I apologize, don't know if I can edit on here and I'm exhaused, upset and tired. Any help would be great if you understand what I wrote. I'll try to make it clearer tomorrow.

• Cindy,

I wouldn't see another doctor in the same group for a 2nd opinion--just to avoid conflict. I read from your post that you teach and I don't know which grade you teach, but here is an example: it would be like one of my parents asking another teacher who teaches same subject in the same grade level and school for a 2nd opinion. Of course, this might have occurred, but I don't know about it. It is just not done. Oh...never mind..this has occurred. MY former coworker tutored one of the kids in my class without my knowledge. She was reprimanded. So, I assume this professional courtesy would apply in the medical field.

I know that you want to someone who will provide you the best care. Like you asked, what would I do? I would restart my search for another surgeon at a different place if I had serious doubts.

Everyone has different opinions. I was referred to my surgeon by my PM doctor who respects him and the nurses at the hospital commented how great my doctor is. To give them credit, he is good. But....he will not do my fusion if I need one in the future.

Good luck on finishing your masters. It is challenging to work full time and go to school at night. Hopefully, your surgery will allow you concentrate on your work and studies.
  • I did like the doc I went to and I'll make an appointment with the other doctor. My GP had mixed feeling about the doc I went to and had two patients that went to him. One was happy and the other woman said he was horrible so now I'm in a panic. These doctors have good reps but one has more experience so I'll meet him and see what he says. Thank for your reply!

• I'm the mom of three and the kids in the school need me, so I really want this to go well but I know there are risks. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it when it's over. I just pray it gets better, I am so sad living this way.
  • Hi Cindy, I understand your delima. I have had 5 back surgeries with the last one ending in fusion ,L-2,L-3,L-4,l-5,S-1. My first surgery was done in Dayton Ohio which did not go well. After that I went to the Neurosurgeon at Cleveland Clinic. Back surgery is very seriuos(especially fusions). I wouldn't worry about being rude by asking for a 2nd opinion even if the doctor is in the same group. You need to go with whom you feel most comfortable with. In my opinion, you really have to have trust in your surgeon. I hope I have helped in some way. Like I said these are only my opinions. I wish you "Good Luck"! O:)
    By the way, you can PM me if you have any questions.
  • I just wanted to mention that some clinics have a policy where you may not see a different doctor if you have already seen one doctor in the clinic. I found that with one doctor I was seeing.

Hopefully that will not be the case with your doctors. I am a big believer in looking around until you find someone who is not only very well-qualified, but someone you feel comfortable with and can talk to.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    difficult and many times can be out right scary.
    When getting ready for surgery, here are some things
    that I always have looked for:

- A doctor that you can trust, have confidence in and explains everything to you.

- Spinal Surgery is becoming more and more normal. 20 years ago, you had to make sure you had a surgeon that knew exactly what they were doing. Today, you can be pretty sure that if the doctor has been in practice a while, they are qualified to do your surgery

- The Hospital This is such a big factor. Before my father died, he had a multitude of problems. In addition he had 3 lumbar surgeries. He insisted that he had to go down to New York City at a specific hospital. This was the one that was advertised and had great doctors. After surgery, he had to stay in a bed in the hallway since there were no rooms. During his entire stay, he was miserable, the staff were always too busy.
    I had my surgeries done at our local hospital. I got to know many of the staff, I was very lucky that my wife was employed there. So for all of my surgeries, I got the red carpet treatment.

- The Staff. After your doctor performs the surgery, they may stop once or maybe twice to see you. But you will have many other medical professionals. The ones that are so very important are your Nurses. Before going in for surgery, see if you can visit the floor that you will be going to and ask to speak to the Nursing supervisor. Even see if you can meet some of the nurses. This personal contact is so very important.

I have always posted that it is so important for the upcoming patient to become the psuedo expert in the condition they have and the procedure they are going to have.

The items I mentioned above sometimes get overlooked, but they are so important
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • One docs said rowing

another said surgery

the last said to try acupuncture

I just want it to feel better for more then two days and that's all PT does for me.

I scheduled the surgery and now I keep hearing different things,yet I know in the end I'll need surgery. I have digestive issues and was told I have perminant nerve damage. I also get shooting pain in the back of my head.

I'll see one more doc out of the group or just call the surgeon and ask to meet with him again to find out what happens after the surgery. He told me, he could clear me for work in as little as two weeks after the surgery, but from what I read here, it takes months and that's if it's successful. I don't know what to do??????

Has anyone else felt this way???

I know the entire group is good and the guy I went to is a neck surgeon. I'm just scared! Thanks for all your responses.
  • My current surgeon, who came highly recommended, told me that I had permanent nerve damage on my Achilles' tendon; however, I started gaining relax there after the surgeries. So, don't give up hope.

It is normal to be scared before surgery. Keep posting! I'll be thinking of you!
  • I think that's just it, I'm scared and need to calm down. I just have a lot on my mind and talking to my GP yesterday had my head spinning.

Thank you to all for all your help!

• Surgery is scary. It's really important to have a positive attitude when you have made the decision with all the facts in front of you. You may have setbacks while healing so prepare for that. I believe it takes a full year to really know the end result (I'm not a medical person though).

Could you ask to speak to a former patient of your surgeon to see how they recovered? I think I should've done that in order to know what to expect.

Good luck and hang in there for your daughter!

Go Buckeyes!
  • I have to hang in for my three children and all the children I work with in the school I work in. I have a lot of little people that need me and I need them. I just want to be the best I can be for myself and everyone that depends on me.

I start to feel dizzy when I keep my head down too long and in teaching you're constantly looking down at children's work. I just have to be strong, get the surgery and heal! I won't know unless I try.