Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are your most difficult tasks

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Depression and Coping
After Surgery? This is my list

- Range of motion left/right and up/down
- While driving see who is coming up on my left
- Can not put my chin down to hold pants that I am trying to fold
- Looking up for any extended period of time

- Getting out of bed and moving around
- Bending by the end of the day

Keep in mind, I do try to always follow my limitations and restrictions. So the above list is when I am at my best
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I'm only 13 days post-op so I'm not BLT (bending, lifting, twisting) or anything else I shouldn't do....but sitting is hard for me. Sometimes I can last 45 mins or so...but that's rare. Most of the time it's only 25 mins or so. I'm praying that it will get easier soon.

Also, putting on socks is near impossible. My PT showed me how to lay down & do them, but my flexibility just isn't there any more. I'm always over joyed when my hubbie is around to help with it. :D -Don't know what I would do with out him!!! :X

And, apparently sleeping must be hard for me too since I always seem to be on here at 2am LOL. ;) I'm actually sleeping MUCH better than pre-surgery...but I would love to improve it more.
  • Cervical:
    - Looking in any one direction (up, down, or sideways) for any length of time.
    - Like PapaRon, can't put my chin down to help fold pants or put on a pillowcase.
    - Keep the back of my neck and my shoulders from hurting.

- Standing for too long (not sure how long that is yet, still learning).
    - Lifting anything heavy like a basket full of laundry.
    - Sometimes just walking.

• Lumbar: No brainer, cutting my toe nails is absolutely horrible. I have to do one at a time and take a break. Putting on socks sucks and tying my shoes used to be on the list but I bought slip-on shoes so that's not an issue any more...
  • It's difficult to:

get in a car
    get out of a car
    walk down steps
    climb over the tub to take a shower
    baths are out of the question
    walking causes spasms and nerve pain
    sitting hurts my back and aggravates sciatica
    sit through dinner at a restaurant
    driving or riding as passanger
    look around in a store on foot
    going grocery shopping-won't go solo anymore
    riding in a scooter for a big grocery shopping trip
    getting up in the mornings
    going to doctor appts and waiting around forever

Well, that's all folks..
  • Here's my list of difficult tasks that I can't do or experience increased pain with:

*Sitting, standing, walking
    *taking wet clothes out of washer and putting them into the dryer
    *bending down to load and unload the dishwasher
    *#1 painful chore is mopping
    *sweeping sometimes
    *bending down to wash my son's hair
    *carrying groceries into the house and putting them away
    *lifting my dad's wheelchair in and out of his truck
    *taking my daughter to all the stores in the mall in one day
    *push mow my yard
    *yard work
    *getting adequate, uninterrupted sleep

I could go on and on but I will stop here for now. Great topic Paparon. You always come up with great, thought provoking posts.
  • This may sound stupid and trivial, but the hardest thing for me (that bugs me the most) is to shave my legs! I'm 3 weeks post TLIF and it's hard to accomplish without bending, and my boyfriend wasn't too thrilled about doing it for me! Well, it's getting really warm here now, so I need to find a way. Suggestions welcome!
  • I have been assigned one task that I find very, very difficult.

It is to wait and do nothing.

I am so bored I could scream. I haven not been able to get interested in anything that I try. Nothing seems to help.

• I would have to say without a doubt that it is waking up every day, knowing what is in store and having the audacity to tackle it in spite of it all.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    and I like the way you put it....
    It does just show your positive approach and that you will find a way to beat it back,
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm a pretty tall girl, at 6 feet, so doing all those "girly jobs" like housework, that require looking down or bending over (I hear ya about doing laundry!!)

Driving, to turn and look in the blind spots. But at least post-op, I can operate the gear shift now!!! It's just using the clutch that kind of sucks, with my leg... I think an automatic is in my very near future!!! :))(

Sitting at a computer desk (thank god for my laptop at home!!) or anywhere else that doesn't have a head rest. (they bought me a great chair at work, so I can rest my head aginst the back of it!!)

Standing/walking because of my leg issues, or even sitting in one position for too long...

But most of it is getting better with time, I just have to remember to be patient!!

APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Getting my fat Irish arse outta bed in the morning!

Looking at a sink full of dishes and knowing it'll take over an hour to do in spurts.

Knowing the cats and dog have been up all night placing select quantities of hair in the same spots I vacuumed yesterday.

Getting outta my recliner fast enough to answer the phone before the caller hangs up.

Looking at the lawn that needs mowing especially after i'm done mowing... then it needs raking...

Yeah I'm 11 months post-op but it doesn't really feel like it...;>)

As for limitations and restrictions, I pretty much ignore them because:
    "That's what the meds are for"
    "Who else is gonna do this stuff?"
    "Someone needs to keep scaring the animals, why not me"
    "Ya can't teach an old dog new tricks"
    "I'm in pain anyways, what's a little more? (see pain med comment above)"
    "If I stop doing stuff then whats the point in having stuff to do?"
    "Doing stuff gives me an excuse to not dust or wash windows"
    "This comment is under construction, sorry for the inconvenience"