Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Some Validation

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am back from my PT - this is my 4th round and i am 8 weeks into these sessions. I have been most impressed with this lady - very hands on, manipulation, manual traction and her knowledge. She is a senior staff member at a very good hospital...so I do have trust in her knowledge and opinions. She has helped explain the intense pains i have in my shoulder blades can be attibuted to C56 and so on - infact, she was able to manually moved my head and neck thru a hands on traction that relived some of that presure (it felt like when you have been sitting on your foot and final get up)....

My point - she was very direct and made no bones about it - I need to speak to a Nuerosurgeon or orthopedic spine doctor. In her opinion, I was not going to receive any more benefits from PT - and it would be a waste of money and insurance to continue - and it was not worth putting me thru any more of this! She said my muscles are very messed up - constant contractions, which does produce pain for me and limited rom - but they are not going to heal or improve until the underlying problem is retified. She went as so far and to give me Doc names and said to definitely make certain to have pt after less conservative messures - because yes, my muscle would need some additional work, but for now - this is as good as it gets until they (docs) get off the conservative meassures and get serious for me.

It was validating - and no she is not the doc - but it felt good to have someone validate this for me - it has been over 2 years and i am declining rapidly - it is almost impossible to work, but i own the business - no real choice to not go to work - I am having to lay flat several times during the work day - just to make it thru
thanks for listening

• Are hard to find but it seems you were lucky! She was more concerned with your well being than with her paycheck.I had many Dr.'s insist on treatments that never workrd for me. It's good people like her that help us get on the right track to recovery! This is good news, her report will help you get where you need to be. :)
    Faith M
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    that someone tells you what you have been feeling all along.
    Like you said, your PT validated your situation. At least now, you dont have to questions yourself if/what your problem has been.
    Muscles can play an very important role in spinal problems. Sometimes its hard to figure out what came first - the disc problem or muscle problem?
    You shouldnt have too much trouble with the outer muscles,
    but its those deep major muscles when they are having problems they can put a lot of additional strain on your spine, thus your discs.
    So manytimes just treating the disc problems, does not provide you long term relief, because one of the underlying problems are those deep muscles.
    Lets hope you will find someone who will take of those.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am not certain myself what came first - or what is causing all the pain in my neck, shoulders, bw the shoulders, elbows, and fingers....or which came first. As I look back before all the back pain started I had about a 3 month period of horrible shoulder pain -the kind where you can't lift the the arm or sleep on that side...Figured I had pulled a muscle in my shoulder while shoveling one of our huge Ohio snows in Jan of 07....jsut put up with it until all broke loose in April 07.

In these 2 years i have tried about everything with the exception of 2 things - deep tissue massage (don't know where there is good one) - or esi - have had the radiofrequency in cervical and t345...but with no pain relief, but gained rom in neck temporarily.

I have not pushed for surgery in all this time - and i do understand that it may not even help - but then again it might....i have been willing to try the rest - I guess at this point I wish it could be tried - or at least some reasonalable effort to help with the pain, tingling and so on - something has got to work - right?

At least at that point I will have done all the could-ofs, would-ofs and should-ofs - I really can't go on with this "gotta pole shoved down my spine and makes a loop to the sternum" - at least I hope I do not!

EMG on thurs. hopefully that may give us some answers.

• Let us know the results of your EMG and good luck to you!
    Faith M
  • I commend your PT. Most dr's will try conservative measures for 6 months, and if that doesn't work go on to something else, usually surgery. I can't remember, do you have a herniated or bulging disc? I have low back pain as well as cervical pain from bulging discs. My ins company would not authorize a MRI because I had not tried conservative measures first. I questioned whether that might make a problem worse. Without knowing the problem, how can you treat it? They denied again, so did 24 PT sessions. The PT finally told me I wasn't going to get any better until I quit work, or got the problems treated surgically. Still fighting with ins company, in pain every day. Try to find a good neuro-surgeon and see what he says. Good luck...if you would put a flag on that pole, you would be ready for the fourth of July =)) Take care,

• yes, they are aware of a herniation of c56 and multiple bone spurs at the same area....and that mri is from jan 08 - and i can definitely say, my neck is much worse than when the mri was taken - it was actually taken to see if my thoracic pain was due to problems in the cervical.

I own a gardening business and this time of year is insane - i do alot of the labor - moving mulch, planting large trees (someone needs to get them from my truck to the hole) and so on. I would assume there hasn't been any healing and it feels like the herniation has progressed

Now even my knees - yes just knees go numb - fingers are painful - thumb and index and so on - we shall see how the test go and yes i am very grateful for a terrific pt

• I can definitely identify with your symptoms...even the knees. It sounds like your symptoms have worsened and you need an updated mri.

What interested me about your comments was your commitment to getting better through all options before resorting to surgery. I commend you for that. I did the same as well. I was going to PT twice a week and felt so much better after each session of traction. However, my symptoms progressed severely and rapidly and ultimately surgery was my only option. However, this leads to something I've been wondering about since then. Is traction really effective or is it actually making the disk worse? The disk is being decompressed and compressed continuously. Think of it as a ballon or rubber band. Eventually after being stretched and re-stretched so often, it breaks (annual tear?). The question is....how much traction is too much or is the resulting damage inevitable if it were left alone from the beginning?

I wish you the best Patti. There's a lot of experience here to help you along this road. Take care!