Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tying Your Sneakers Without Bending, Lifting or Twisting (BLT)

rolorrolo Posts: 52
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello All...looking for advice.
I am 8 weeks post MicroD - generally doing very well. When I go to work I wear shoes so I bought slip ons...but when doing PT, walking, etc I wear sneakers, and they have to be tied. I have very tight hamstrings, and frankly we've been told not to bend twist or lift, so how do you get your sneakers on?!?!?!? I usually end up putting my foot on a desk height surface (I am 6'3'') and sometimes it's painless, other times I get a muscle spasm from it and feel crappy after.
ANy hints? Such thing as size 14 slip on sneakers? Velco (look like an old man) wont help because I still have to bend down to fasten those too.
Advice/Hints? The only thing I have heard so far is a long shoehorn, which I cant see working well on sneakers since those tighten snugly.

• I tied my shoes once loose when I got them and i just slip them off and on, it ruins the back of the shoe but gotta do what you gotta do , I also have a cheap pair of those croc slip on shoes that i wear alot.
  • This may not work for you if you are not at all flexible, but I sit in a chair, cross my leg, bending at the knee, so one knee is resting on the other leg, and put on my shoe that way.

My husband, who has tight hamstrings, puts his foot on the toilet (with the lid down). He can comfortably bend that much without bending at the waist. Remember that it is OK to "hinge" from the hip, with back straight like a tabletop, and "bend" that way...or you can use a "golfer's bend" which is what most of them do when picking up a ball off a putting green. It is using the standing leg as a fulcrum, leaning over and letting the free leg go up behind a bit.

Ask your PT. They should have shown you how to do this before you left the hospital.
  • It is possible to find elastic shoestrings that will give for your foot to go in. I bought some for my z-coil shoes at the store where I bought them. Also since my fusion, I wear crocs. The real ones, not the imitation. They are very confortable and since we dont run, ha ha works well for me.
  • i sit on the stairs.can bring the feet and knees higher and it is possible to tie them keeping your spine straight. good luck!
  • I have slip on sneakers but my PT taught me how to put on socks...and I'm assuming you could put your shoes on that way too. Basically, log roll onto you back on your bed & put them on laying down. In the mornings it's really hard for me to do...some days it's still impossible until I loosen up some.
  • I lay on my bed, bring my knee up to my chest and put my shoe on this way. I find it doesn't put any added strain on my back or hurt my hamstrings... I hope you are able to figure out what works best for you and do it without pain!!! I wish you a full and speedy recovery!!!

Much love and understanding,
  • :$ I didn't read the other responses before I posted, but since others said what I said, I'm hoping it works for you too!!!
  • I have Sketcher's biker shoes and they're bungie corded so they adjust to your feet and they just slip on and they're so much lighter than other runners. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.