Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain managment and work

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
The Neuro said that he didn't see anything that would cause the radiating pain/numbness in my left neck/shoulder/hand. He did say that I have extensive arthritis in my cervical & upper thoracic spine. and that he doesn't know anything about OPLL but it isn't compressing my spinal cord that much. I have had a foraminotomy a year ago to fix this problem but it didn't work.
My PCP started me on MS Contin ER 15 2x/day and Percocet for break thru pain. She was pretty insistent that I need to keep my pain under control. I haven't been sleeping and my BP has slightly increased and I catch myself eating food when I am not hungry. I think to stay awake. I have a full time job that I need to keep. I must drive some the time during the day. Do people have full time jobs and take this much pain meds? I was on Oxycontin ER before my surgery but I only took it after work because i was afraid to drive. Although after I was on it for a couple of weeks I didn't feel mentally impaired. Is MS Contin ER stronger than Oxycontin ER?
Thanks for your support.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    its that it keeps a steady level of pain medication in your system. Still, driving while taking pain medications can be very dangerous.
    While there has been much debate if you can legally drive or not when taking pain medications, you are definitely impaired.
    So, even if you are not arrested for driving while impaired, if because of this impairment, you cause an accident in which someone is killed, I do not believe you would want that on your mind.
    I can understand that driving to work is critical, do you have any other means?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Nancy -

I have been going to Pain Management since approximately 2005. After many trials and medication adjustments, I am currently taking Morphine 30 mg (3 times a day), Oxycodone 15 mg (anywhere from 3 - 5 a day, depending on my activity and pain level), Zanaflex - 4 mg (2 a day) and Ambien 12.5 mg (at bed time).

Because (in my opinion) I have a true pain issue, the morphine and oxy act as pain receptors - not a high, or altering my state of mind. I can function just fine while taking these meds. Without them, I could not function because of the pain...

The zanaflex on the other hand... not so much. I take it with my Ambien to really help me sleep for about 4 or 5 hours. (funny - my ambien bottle actually says "may cause drowsiness" - really, I was hoping it would... and "do not operate machinery while taking this medication".... no doubt the result of frivilous law suits of some kind or other)..

Take care!

• meds effect everyone differently so please be careful. there is currently a case in MA. where a 70 yr old man killed a lil boy on his bike. he was driving his car on pain meds. this type of inncodent will only make it tougher for people to get the pain meds they need, and its all ready hard enough cuz of fruad, so everyone please be careful out there with your meds.
  • I am being cautious. I am only taking the meds after getting home from work. I know that isn't what she prescribed but I am to worried about driving to do anything else. I do notice that I feel drowsy when taking MS Contin and it is a good thing. I really need to get my sleep so I can work.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.