Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about Neck Pain

jmichellejjmichelle Posts: 74
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All:

I have had pain in my neck for about a week. I have scoliosis, lumbar disc bulges, spinal narrowing, DDD, and annular lumbar tears. BUT, I have never had real neck problems. It hurts in the middle of my neck and feels like burning. My left shoulder feels almost heavy, and my left pinky is tingling. I have no insurance and am wondering if this warrants a trip to the ER. I know you guys arent docs or anything..some friendly advice would be helpful. :)

• how long has your neck been hurting? the heaviness and tingling sounds like nerve problems.If its only been a few days i would say wait and see if it resolves if its been a few weeks or more then i'd say go to the er and see what they can do for you.good luck!
  • I would have to agree with tammyc. Depending on how long it has already been going on, I would give it a little bit of time if it has only been a day or two. But if you are having a lot of pain do not delay being seen by a doc or going to the ER. It sounds like the start of what my symptoms started out as and I went on for almost a year before having my ACDF on C5&6... Not to say everyone is the same, you know your body better than anyone else dont wait if you dont feel like you should.

Good luck.
  • Its been a week, and I am finding that I cant even drive now since I cant turn my head. Like I said, I have back problems, but this neck thing is new.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    The posts given here has some valid advice. Before getting a MRI, you want to make sure that something is not right.
    From what you describe, it sure did sound like nerve related problems. But you do want to know what is the root cause of this?
    Since you dont have insurance, I would also say that waiting some more time would be the right thing to do.
    Keep track of this problem
    - When does it hurt the most?
    - Do you have pain/numbness all the time?
    - How do you feel when you wake up?
    - What tasks that you currently do seem to aggravate this?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com