Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Growth Stimulator??!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Well I was feeling fairly good today except for the pain caused by this ##(*%&& collar!! ~X( However the pain medication keeps things under control so I can work.

A representative of a company called to say my surgeon ordered a bone growth stimulator for me (Blue Cross approved it), and their deliver person will drop in this afternoon to show me how to use it.

Has anyone used one of these devices? A Google search shows an electronic device with a neck strap. Apparently one wears this for four hours per day for several months to hasten the fusion. I was under the impression the fusion process took care of itself in a few months anyway...

Any insights would be appreciated!

• Mine is one that I wear around my waist. It's like a back brace. I don't know how your's will be cuz it sounds like your situation is cervical and mine is lumbar. I don't like using it just cuz it's awkward and I can't be in the same room as computer so I have to sit alone in my bedroom for 4hours a day for 9 months. I would imagine your's won't be so big and bulky if it's for the neck.

Good luck with your BGS and keep us updated.
  • Ralph,
    After my second ACDF, my OS ordered a stimulator for me. I wore mine 4 hours a day for 7 months, about the life of the batteries. It did seem to help with my fusion process, at the 9-10 month I was fully fused. You are not that far into recovery, I know th3e collar can be a pain, but if you find the stimulator to bother your neck while wearing it, try it with your soft collar,it may take some pressure of your neck. Good luck and hope your recovery goes well.